Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the deal, i have a set of authentic lorinser lm5's (18 x 8.5 uo front and 18 x 9.5 in the rear) that have some curb rash and they are the diamond finish.

i wanna get them refinished now while i still have my stock/winter wheels on. my car is black opal and heres what im thinking:

a) just refinish the 2 that are rashed up as close to original as possible

b) refinish the 2 and polish/chrome all 4 lips

c) refinish the 2 and powder coat the centers black opal and polish/chrome all 4 lips

d) refinish the 2 and chrome all 4

i think im leaning towards "c" but not completely 100% sold. what do you guys think? any better ideas? if i powder coat should i do the same color as my car or a different color?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you have a picture of the car with the wheels you are talking about on the car?

What color is the whip?

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fortyfive - 4/1/2005 9:04 AM

Do you have a picture of the car with the wheels you are talking about on the car?
im at work and dont have any pics of my car with these wheels on, but heres what my rims look like. right now they are the diamond finish and look exactly like whats on the SL just not 20". i attached a pic of the rim in chrome so you get an idea. ive never seen anyone paint the inside of an lm5, if anyone has any pics they could post that would be greatly appreciated.

fortyfive - 4/1/2005 9:04 AM

What color is the whip?
its black opal

·
Registered
2001 SILVER CLK 430
750 Posts
Bro, C is the obvious sickest solution. Powder all those bitches black and polish the lips. Black on black? No question.

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BrooklynCLK - 4/1/2005 12:36 PM

Bro, C is the obvious sickest solution. Powder all those bitches black and polish the lips. Black on black? No question.
only thing that had me second guessing "c" is that my car is black opal, its really not black, it looks more like midnight blue/dark navy blue. so do i get the centers powdered the same color as the car, or black or a different color to offset?

·
Registered
2001 SILVER CLK 430
750 Posts
Most deffinately the same color. I think that would even make it look better since it's not "black". Your from brooklyn so I'm sure you know that custom shop which is right next to Oakley's car wash right? In sheepshead bay?

I seen some sick shit last week. They were backing out a dark turquoise looking Hummer (H2). When i saw the rims I flipped out. This Hummer was dropped on like 24's and the rims were painted the same dark turquoise color as the car. It was absolutely sick. made me realise that no matter what your cars color is (red, yellow, blue, black), if you get the rims to match the color it looks awesome.

I think your paint has a code somewhere that autobody's use to match the paint if ever touching up that car. Find that code and you'll be able to paint them the exact same color.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would go with the color match and then have the lips "polished". Leave the chrome at home.

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BrooklynCLK - 4/1/2005 12:58 PM

Most deffinately the same color. I think that would even make it look better since it's not "black". Your from brooklyn so I'm sure you know that custom shop which is right next to Oakley's car wash right? In sheepshead bay?

I seen some sick shit last week. They were backing out a dark turquoise looking Hummer (H2). When i saw the rims I flipped out. This Hummer was dropped on like 24's and the rims were painted the same dark turquoise color as the car. It was absolutely sick. made me realise that no matter what your cars color is (red, yellow, blue, black), if you get the rims to match the color it looks awesome.

I think your paint has a code somewhere that autobody's use to match the paint if ever touching up that car. Find that code and you'll be able to paint them the exact same color.
yea i know those guys pretty well, thats 212 motoring, next to oakleys on neptune. i had tints done there on 2 of my cars and some audio work. my boy had his e500 headliner done in suede there and today we dropped his cls500 off there to be tinted.

www.212motoring.com

the owner there has a sick cl with full lorinser kit, i think theres pics of it on his site

·
Registered
2001 SILVER CLK 430
750 Posts
Small world BKLYN. The street light directly after Oakley's and 212 (where Neptune becomes Emmons) is the street that I live on and where my new office is--Shore Boulevard. You can usually see my CLK parked there with a nice orange ticket on the front windsheild (still haven't gotten used to what day they clean which side of the street). [;)]

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
keep them polished or get them colormatched.

·
Registered
2000 CLK
383 Posts
kind of off topic . but who's red CLK is that ??? .. i like the brake kit he got ..that's not brembo is it ??

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes those are brembos and thats lee2375's old project car from wheelexperts.com. he posts more often over at m b w o r l d. check out more pics of his car here:

http://mbnz.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatID=291&parentID=31&subname=Wheel_Experts`_Project_CLK&parentname=W208_CLK_Class

·
Registered
CL
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you can get them from tirerack, performance products, wheel experts, etc. expect to pay anywhere from 2500 to 3500 for just the front big brake kit. you get 2 front red, silver or black 4 piston calipers, vented and cross drilled rotors and stainless steel brake lines

1 - 17 of 17 Posts