Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 406 Unimog Expedition Camper, 1999 G500, 1995 Land Rover Defender 90 SW
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering purchasing a 1999 Europa G500 with 59,000 miles. Looks to be in good condition on the exterior and I've got a mechanic going over it tomorrow. I'm going to have him check the following: 1. The Door Lock Mechs 2. Transfer case 3. Harmonics Balancer Any other things I should specifically look out for. He's asking 23k for it...deal? I'm new to the G thing but have researched this particular model. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
If it's in anywhere decent condition, the price is right. That Hannibal rack alone is about $1600 plus shipping.

A check of the front wheel bearings and the swivel ball grease level is also in order. Also give the drive shafts a shot of grease (3 points on the front and rear, but none in the center one; and 2-3 pumps maximum of the grease gun handle for the slip joints), if this hasn't been done recently. Take it for a drive and feel for vibrations in the drive train. Also, check the top serpentine belt pulley for play. It is known to fail; and if it does, you're pretty much stuck.

Drop me a PM with your email address or check your PM for my email. I have a 2000 Europa Int'l G500 (same as the one you're looking at) which I service myself; and can give you plenty of tips and tricks about the truck. In my opinion, they are superior to the newer models sold by MBUSA.

·
Registered
1982 406 Unimog Expedition Camper, 1999 G500, 1995 Land Rover Defender 90 SW
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's in anywhere decent condition, the price is right. That Hannibal rack alone is about $1600 plus shipping.

A check of the front wheel bearings and the swivel ball grease level is also in order. Also give the drive shafts a shot of grease (3 points on the front and rear, but none in the center one; and 2-3 pumps maximum of the grease gun handle for the slip joints), if this hasn't been done recently. Take it for a drive and feel for vibrations in the drive train. Also, check the top serpentine belt pulley for play. It is known to fail; and if it does, you're pretty much stuck.

Drop me a PM with your email address or check your PM for my email. I have a 2000 Europa Int'l G500 (same as the one you're looking at) which I service myself; and can give you plenty of tips and tricks about the truck. In my opinion, they are superior to the newer models sold by MBUSA.
@Dutch thanks for the tips on what to check. Everything checked out with the exception of the exhaust was a little thin due to rust and a small amount of oil seepage from the seal on the oil pan. Nothing to be concerned about. It is in unbelievable condition it's like the thing was parked in a garage and never used. I will post pics once I pick it up.:thumbsup:
Also sent you a pm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts