Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been brought up ad infinitum ad nauseam, but I still have a hard time making an informed decision, and don't feel like trusting my dealer for the best advice...

I don't want Continentals, and the most important factors in decreasing order are:

1. Stick to the road in wet and dry conditions (no snow). Did I say stick to the road?

2. Comfort

3. Cost

4. Tread wear

5. Looks

I usually cruise at 160 (kph that is!) on the autostradas here in Italy. I like to corner hard; the roads where I live are rarely straight.

I know there isn't likely to be any unamimous winner, but I'd certainly appreciate getting a list of 3 or 4 to choose from. Better to ask SLK aficionados, as some of you have had crap tires in the past, and have made wise decisions in upgrading the car's tires. We all know MB itself doesn't always provide exceptional rubber on their cars. [xx(][:D]

I very much appreciate your assistance! [8D]

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts
160Km/H???!!~
Are you going too fast?
In italy you can travel on the Highway at max 130Km/h!!
You'r going to take some thicket! [;)]

Anyway...

Comprati le Bridgestone potenza S-03!
Buy Bridgestone potenza S-03! [;)]

They are the best on the road I think!
Sono le migliori. Almeno cosí penso io!

They usually last 25/30.000 Km, it depends on your way to drive [:D]
Durano circa 25/30.000 Km dipenda da come guidi. [:D]

Where do you live?
Dove vivi?

Well I'm going, really soon, to buy Kumho ECSTA Supra 712. I looked at the reviews and they are the cheapest and "not bad" tire for me.

They are more or less like Goodyear Eagles F1 D3 but they cost 33% off!!

Ciao!
Slow down [;)]

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grazie per la tua risposta, Cixi!
Thanks for your answer, Cixi!

Normalmente si può guidare fino a 140 Km/h senza nessun problema come c'è sempre un "margine di errore" dopo la il limite legale. Qualsiasi poliziotto direbbe la stessa cosa... In ogni caso, vedo che poca gente guidano meno di 140 km/h sulla autostrada qua.

Normally you can drive up to 140 Km/h without any problem, as there's a "margin of error" after the legal limit. Any policeman would say the same thing... In any case, I observe that few people drive under 140 km/h on the autostrada here.

Ci sono pochissimi zone di controllo nelle Marche dove vivo (Ancona). Per lo meno, non stanno controllando molto seriamente!

There are few areas of control in the Marche region where I live (Ancona). At least they're not controlling very seriously!

Grazie per le informazioni e l'avvertimento! [:D]
Thanks for the information and warning!

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, Cixi...

I never even priced tires here in Italy. How do prices here, even at discount tire shops, compare to those at The Tire Rack? [?]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: By the way, Cixi...

I have not run the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's but I have run the Kumho's. From what I have heard the the Kumho's will not have as much dry grip (they may have the same or better wet grip) but they will last longer. The Kumho's are nice tires but are not in the same class as PSII'2 or GSD3's.

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts

Daniel W. - 2/13/2005 11:25 PM

I never even priced tires here in Italy. How do prices here, even at discount tire shops, compare to those at The Tire Rack? [?]
Sorry what do you mean.. "even priced"?

I don't get the point sorry.

Do you need to find a dealer in italy like TireRack?

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts

Cixi - 2/12/2005 5:18 PM

Sorry what do you mean.. "even priced"?

I don't get the point sorry.
"even priced" = "priced"

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts

Ok did you understood what he's asking for?
I don't.
Can you tell me so maybe I can help him?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts

Daniel W. - 2/12/2005 4:25 PM

How do prices here, even at discount tire shops, compare to those at The Tire Rack? [?]
Cixi-I think this is what he is asking:

How do prices here (in Italy), at regular tire shops or at discount tire shops, compare to prices at www.tirerack.com.

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts

16falcon - 2/13/2005 2:02 AM

Cixi-I think this is what he is asking:

How do prices here (in Italy), at regular tire shops or at discount tire shops, compare to prices at www.tirerack.com.
If I do understand well, only an italian dealer can answer.
Right?

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ciao, Cixi!

Si, vorrei conoscere un venditore come Tire Rack qua in Italia.

Yes, I’d like to know of a vendor like Tire Rack here in Italy.

Stavo dicendo che non ho neanche controllato i prezzi delle gomme qui e ho voluto sapere se i pressi erano vantaggiosi come a Tire Rack. Tire Rack vende la Bridgestone Potenza S-03 per $126.00 (anteriore) e $153.00 (posteriore), o rispettivamente circa 98,00 EURO e 119,00 EURO… Quanto devo spendere per la stessa gomma in Italia? Prego di fornirmi con un indirizzo di un fornitore come Tire Rack, specialmente se hanno i prezzi vantaggiosi!

I was saying that I didn’t even check out the prices of tires here, and I wanted to know if the prices were good like at the Tire Rack. Tire Rack sells the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 for $126.00 (front) and $153.00 (rear), ot about 98.00 EURO and 119 EURO respectively… How much must I spend for the same tire in Italy? Please give me an address of a vendor like Tire Rack, especially if they have great prices!

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts
Daniel W. - 2/13/2005 7:54 AM

Ciao, Cixi!
Yes, I’d like to know of a vendor like Tire Rack here in Italy.

I was saying that I didn’t even check out the prices of tires here, and I wanted to know if the prices were good like at the Tire Rack. Tire Rack sells the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 for $126.00 (front) and $153.00 (rear), ot about 98.00 EURO and 119 EURO respectively… How much must I spend for the same tire in Italy? Please give me an address of a vendor like Tire Rack, especially if they have great prices!
Ok.. nobody like Tirerack in Italy.
The price for a Bridgestone S-03 here is 200/250 Euro EACH!! it mean 260-325 Dollars! I'm speaking about S-03 245-40-ZR17 the one I have in the back.

I'm going to buy Kumho since here I found a raelly unbeatable price 106 Euro (137$)!!

So with 2 Kuhmo I'll more or less buy one Bridgestone!
Sinche here they told me it grip like a Bridg I'll give it a try!

Anyway I can give you some italian reseller on the net...
in a few hours.. I need to find the out.
The firs one I realy now is
http://www.gomme.net a famous one.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought tires might be two times more expensive than in the U.S.; everything else is but wine (1/3 the price), and gas (4 X more!!!). I was sorry to see the Lira phased out; Italy will never be the same! [:(!]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts