Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320 base 180K
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The intake manifold is kaput, carbonized with air circulating through only one side. Needs a new or good used one. Mechanic quoted $875 OEM. Online OEMs are around $620. Used as low as $120. '99 has 180K. Any suggestions for saving $$ on this part? Thanks

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
4,576 Posts
The intake manifold is kaput, carbonized with air circulating through only one side. Needs a new or good used one. Mechanic quoted $875 OEM. Online OEMs are around $620. Used as low as $120. '99 has 180K. Any suggestions for saving $$ on this part? Thanks
Squashy1,
Some reading for you:

Reactions: Squashy1

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
7,552 Posts
How do you know that the intake manifold is kaput ? Any indications ? Any fault codes ?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,805 Posts
Just replace with a used unit. There are a million cars with M112 all over the place. One of them is bound to be good enough.

Reactions: MAVA

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,463 Posts
If intake manifold is full of carbon deposits problem is with the engine and excessive oil consumption.

Reactions: mrboca

·
Registered
1999 E320 base 180K
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you know that the intake manifold is kaput ? Any indications ? Any fault codes ?
Yes, PO410 going on for a long time. Changed the EGR valves. Did not resolve the problem. Mechanic had to break off one of the valves because of carbon build up. No air going through the manifold port at all. Mechanic with 40 years experience checked it

·
Registered
1999 E320 base 180K
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan to ask the seller. if they lie then I will send it back and get a refund. Reasonable? Thanks

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,463 Posts
Which part of manifold is plugged up? Pictures?

Is this follow up to never ending P0410?

·
Registered
1999 E320 base 180K
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which part of manifold is plugged up? Pictures?

Is this follow up to never ending P0410?

Mechanic says entire manifold needs to be replaced, not just the top half. Since OEM costs a lot and the car is 21 year old with 180K I plan to buy something like this 98-11 MB CL500 E500 G500 ML500 SL500 S500 CLK500 CLS500 R500 V8 INTAKE MANIFOLD | eBay. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
That is for V8.

You would be better off to get your mechanic of 40 years of experience to use professional solvents to open up the secondary air channels.
I think this is the least expensive route to take. I would try this first and only replace the manifold if this doesn't work. You probable do also need to investigate what's causing the carbon build up as a new manifold could also get plugged if this isn't resolved.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,463 Posts
Passage for SAI is inside cylinder head. Replacing intake manifold is not going to solve this issue. With intake removed in might be somewhat easier attempt to clear carbon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,552 Posts
Passage for SAI is inside cylinder head. Replacing intake manifold is not going to solve this issue. With intake removed in might be somewhat easier attempt to clear carbon.
The mechanic has to start somewhere :).

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,250 Posts
Good used unit... visit the self serve junk yards - they are under 40bucks all day long - ten bucks cheaper than in the west

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 3.38.43 PM.png

Here are some links:

But then you can get the whole engine for $500 with intake too...

Best of luck,

Martin

·
Registered
1999 E320 base 180K
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good used unit... visit the self serve junk yards - they are under 40bucks all day long - ten bucks cheaper than in the west

View attachment 2650043

Here are some links:

But then you can get the whole engine for $500 with intake too...

Best of luck,

Martin
I appreciate ya'll chiming in with questions, suggestions, links, etc. Yes this is the latest iteration of P0410.

The mechanic with 40 years experience - who recommended going straight to replacing the intake manifold - is the son of the founder of a 50-year old family biz. He's been around car repairs all his life. At MrBoca's suggestion I asked him why - after removing the EGR valves and discovering that there was no air coming through the passenger side port - he did not recommend first cleaning the ports/intake/throttle plate etc. with solvent. He said soaking the part in solvent for about 12 hours would help soften the gunk but he thought the was only a 50% chance that it would resolve the problem. And he does not have a machine that pumps the solvent in place of the fuel pump: he would be using the accelerator; the machine is better; so look for a mechanic who has one.

So today I visited two other mechanics, one of which I've used before.The second mechanic doesn't have the machine but the the third one does. Said the procedure would take a couple of hours, cost ~$200. This seems like the best plan so I will take the car there on Thursday. If that doesn't work then based on the comments I assume I'd need to replace the manifold. So far so good?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,805 Posts
removing the EGR valves and discovering that there was no air coming through the passenger side port
New intake manifold will not fix this problem.

You need solvent to dissolve the accumulated carbon buildup.... Otherwise you'll need to remove head and send to machine shop to clean that.

Follow my thread, same issue.

·
Premium Member
7,552 Posts
Part of the problem is, you still call these combi valves as "EGR" valves. The Secondary Air Injection system has nothing to do with the EGR system, as The EGR valve injects exhaust gasses into the intake manifold, and SAI combi valves inject air from the SAI pump into the exhaust manifolds. The SAI system has nothing to do with the intake manifold, throttle plate , other intake ports. Maybe the mechanics have the wrong impression that these valves are for the EGR system.

I remember in the past, you had poured seafoam into the combi valve hole with some success. You need to have it done with some much stronger solvent and with mechanical cleaning action, brushes, flexible wire, etc.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts