Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
03 SL 55, Renntech pkg Plus, ceramic headers, phenolic intake spacers 8mm wires 80mm TB 2nd cat del
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 SL55 with about 48,000 miles. It is in the shop for routine maintenance and I was told one of the motor mounts was leaking so they need to be replaced. I am finding it hard to believe the motor mounts are bad after only 48k. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for you help in advance.

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
1,003 Posts
Did you buy it new? If so, do you have a heavy foot? If so, yes they will tear and leak. An SL55 is not a 55 Chevy with solid rubber mounts. The mounts are designed to produce a smooth feeling when you are driving it. I purchased a used 95 SL500 and during the Starmark process the dealer replaced both engine and transmission mounts. I'm very friendly with one of their best mechanics and he told me that motor mounts are commonly changed out because people drive their car like it a dragster. Put solid mounts in the car and they will probably never go bad but you will complain about the engine torque and vibration.

·
Registered
03 SL 55, Renntech pkg Plus, ceramic headers, phenolic intake spacers 8mm wires 80mm TB 2nd cat del
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you buy it new? If so, do you have a heavy foot? If so, yes they will tear and leak. An SL55 is not a 55 Chevy with solid rubber mounts. The mounts are designed to produce a smooth feeling when you are driving it. I purchased a used 95 SL500 and during the Starmark process the dealer replaced both engine and transmission mounts. I'm very friendly with one of their best mechanics and he told me that motor mounts are commonly changed out because people drive their car like it a dragster. Put solid mounts in the car and they will probably never go bad but you will complain about the engine torque and vibration.

Thanks for the info. I guess you could say I have a heavy foot, but thats why I drive the 55. So it sounds like my car is getting new motor mounts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts