Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently installed Nav in my 2005 E320 CDI. This vehicle has the COMAND APS headunit (US version), and I installed the separate Navigation processor (DVD reader) in the trunk. This is where the map DVD goes. I bought the Nav processor on eBay, and bought the other necessary bits (antenna splitter and MOST cable) from the dealer.

Anyway, my new Nav system seems to work just fine, and it will read older versions of map DVDs (2005) just fine, but it won't read the latest version (v 9.0, 2010). Screen says "No DVD Please insert a Navi-DVD (car-trunk)" . These are both Mercedes/OEM Map DVD's...and not homemade burned copies.

After doing a fair bit of research, I've learned that the Nav processor (in the boot/trunk) firmware/software needs to be updated to allow it to read the newer map DVDs. Because each year (version) of maps usually comes with some software updates, this problem happens when you skip several years(versions). In short, the unit hasn't gotten all of the necessary updates.

The Nav update disc (part number W211 589 15 22 00) is purported to costs less than $20, so my first stop was the dealer. Problem is, they won't sell it to me because they say they can't sell specialty MB "tools" to the public.
They will do the update, but it'll cost me an hour of labor ($130). As I've already spent nearly $500 on the parts for installing this Nav, I'd really prefer to keep the costs down. To be clear, I'm not asking for the map DVD....I just need the software update disc...that updates the firmware of the Nav DVD processor.

I've found plenty of places on the internet to download the disc image, and have tried every way to Sunday to burn it to a DVD, but the nav drive simply won't recognize my burned DVDs, and as such, it won't update. Nothing happens when I insert these burned DVDs.

So, I'm wondering if anybody out there has this disc, and would be willing to sell it, or perhaps let me borrow it. Once again, the part number is W211 589 15 22 00.

The other option would be to get my hands on the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 maps discs....and insert each in succession to allow the necessary updates to occur. But this seems like a heck of alot more hoops to jump through....versus just getting one Nav update disc.

For what it's worth, my headunit has been updated to the latest version (shows Estimated time of arrival, etc), so I'm not in need of the head unit update disc (which is part number W211 589 14 22 00)....I only need the aforementioned Nav update.
Thanks in advance, TJ

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
You have probably saved a ton of money doing much of this yourself and buying parts from sources other than the dealer and their markup.. This type of situation might be worth it to pay the upgrade fee and get all done properly.
Look at the amount of time spent already trying to get around it.. $130 might be pretty cheap to finish off all of the issues and move on..

·
Registered
05 E320 CDI w/ 4 Zone Climate Control, Panaromic Roof, Parktronics. MB SDS equipped.
426 Posts
you need to press a combination of keys for it to start the update. The place your download the updates should have instructions. If it is the disc media, i suggest using HP dvd-r. I tried the very good quality sony dvd-r, the drive doesn't take it at all. Tried philips, read but having disc errors from time to time. HP, no problem whatsoever!!

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
you need to press a combination of keys for it to start the update. The place your download the updates should have instructions.
Pretty sure you're talking about the headunit update. For that, you have to press 1, 3, and 8....then insert the update disc into the headunit. This is NOT what I need.

I need the Nav processor update. The instructions for this update state that the DVD must be inserted in the Nav drive in the trunk. no special keystrokes needed....the update is supposed to start upon disc insertion. But nothing happens when I insert these burned discs....so I'm thinking it very well could be a disc type compatibility issue.

My next (and final) attempt will be to re-burn it on a DVD-R disc (have only tried DVD+R to this point), and will also burn using book type DVD-ROM....in hopes of making it more compatible/readable. If that doesn't work....I will likely surrender to the MB dealer.

For what it's worth, I've already tried buying it from Parts.com...and it's not available.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Woohoo!...I have NAV

Great news. I finally got my Nav working last night, but via a rather unorthodox manner, I might add.

First, I tried re-burning the Nav Update disc (W211 589 15 22 00) several more times. This time, using DVD-R media (Hp brand to be specific). I even tried book-typing the disc to DVD-ROM too, and no matter what I did, nothing would happen when I inserted these discs.

So, as a long-shot/last-ditch effort, I decided to take the OEM Map disc (2010 North America DVD, v9.0) and try to image it, then burn a fresh copy. To my absolute amazement, it worked. For what it's worth, I used DVD-R media, and did NOT book type it to DVD-ROM....just burned the DVD from the iso image normally (using DVD Decrypter). When I inserted the burned copy of the OEM map DVD into the Nav processor, an update occured, and then my maps came up straight away. Utterly amazing to me. Apparently, my Nav processor simply didn't like the OEM DVD...or perhaps the DVD was flawed....I don't know. All I know is, I'm a happy camper at this point as I finally have Navigation.

Anybody wanna buy an OEM Map DVD (2010 North America DVD, v9.0)? Just kidding...I'll probably hang onto it just in case....although it seems I'll never actually use it now. Cheers, TJ

·
Registered
1976 Rover Mini; 2003 Z06; 2011 smart fortwo Passion
167 Posts
Thanks for all the info on this. Just upgraded our 07 E320 to Version 8 map disc (Version 8.0 BQ 6 46 0243 A211 827 23 65) and did not need to update the DVD reader. If I wanted to go to the current map DVD (9.0) I'm assuming I'd need to run the update disc? Or does anyone know if going from version 8 to version 9 requires running the DVD reader update disc? :)

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I doubt that you will need to do anything extra when going from v8 to v9. Just pop the new Map DVD in, and the update will happen automatically. The specific Nav Update disc is only necessary when too many version have been skipped...and hence, too many software/firmware updates were skipped.

In your case, you won't need any extra update discs. Just get the new map DVD, and pop it in.

·
Registered
2006 E 350 Nav HK
3 Posts
Hi toolman...Thanks for posting your exp here. I have recently purchased an 06 E350 with Nav in it. It came with 2005 Nav DVD in it. I am having the same problem trying to install downloaded W211 589 15 22 00. I was able to get a 2008 OEM Nav disc on ebay but my nav unit does not recognize it. Are you willing to sell/lend/share a copy of your 09 disc or ISO. I dont want to spend Retail on 09 again..
Thanks for reading my message..

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,122 Posts
You may have skipped too many years where the updates contain firmware each time
to update the navi. I have seen 3-4 year gaps cause this problem.

A dealer should be able to to update the navi to accept the 08 disc. Or you can buy the
W211 589 15 22 00 disc for just $12-15. I suspect the downloaded version is corrupt.
Would not be the first time a downloaded copy has failed and it won't be the last.

·
Registered
2006 E 350 Nav HK
3 Posts
Noodles..thanks for the reply ..Spending $10-12 is absolutely not an issue. But dealers wont sell those service discs. That's the main issue. If you know of any place that sells them, please let me know..

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
Noodles..thanks for the reply ..Spending $10-12 is absolutely not an issue. But dealers wont sell those service discs. That's the main issue. If you know of any place that sells them, please let me know..
That's SOME dealers.

I previously posted url for one that does.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi toolman...Are you willing to sell/lend/share a copy of your 09 disc or ISO. I dont want to spend Retail on 09 again..
Thanks for reading my message..
As you've probably already read in this, and other NAV threads that I've posted to, the OEM map DVD (2010, v9.0) didn't work in mine either. It was only after I copied the disc (to an ISO image) and reburned it on a fresh DVD that it finally worked.

As such, I don't feel right lending this OEM disc to you....knowing that the only way to make it work is by copying it (at least that was the case for me). So, I feel that by selling this disc to you, or even letting you borrow it, I would be party to software pirating...something I choose not to do...sorry.

My advice would be to try making a copy of your OEM disc first...and see if that works for you (as it did for me). Do so, by making an ISO image of the disc, then burn a new DVD using that ISO image. Use good quality DVD-R media. (I used HP brand, bought from Staples...the DVDs were red in color, not that color matters...I'm just sayin')

Failing that, try to get a hold of the actual update disc as mentioned above. It should be noted however, that just because parts.com has a part number listed, doesn't mean that you can buy it. I say this, because all parts.com orders (for Mercedes parts anyway) are fulfilled through a Mercedes dealer, so you just might run into the same problem...whereby they choose not to sell this to you.

Best of luck mate. Wish you lived closer....so we could try the various disc combinations to better diagnose the problem, and get you up and running.

Cheers, TJ

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,122 Posts
I checked the Navyeq website and it only shows me the North American option.

You can try Navteq.com from your country and see if it brings up the Asia upgrade.
If not then the dealer may be the only place.

·
Registered
2006 E320 cdi
137 Posts
You may have skipped too many years where the updates contain firmware each time
to update the navi. I have seen 3-4 year gaps cause this problem.

A dealer should be able to to update the navi to accept the 08 disc. Or you can buy the
W211 589 15 22 00 disc for just $12-15. I suspect the downloaded version is corrupt.
Would not be the first time a downloaded copy has failed and it won't be the last.
Can anyone confirm if the above p/n is still current? I've updated Comand firmware but my system is not accepting the 2016 map update so I'm thinking I may need to update the firmware in the navi dvd. My '06 hasn't had any other map updates installed since the original. The above software p/n comes up at Husker for a current price of $23.80 but I've yet to hear whether it's still available.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts