Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My parents have inherited the '94 E320 wagon, and its transmission is acting up. The mechanic told them to try topping off the fluid as a first step, but they're pretty clueless about cars and have asked me to walk them through it. Since I'm 3000 miles away, I could use some visual aids -- anyone have clear photos of an m104 engine bay with the transmission dipstick visible? Or, better yet, instructions for how to check the fluid level?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
could someone snap a photo of their m104 engine and post it? i'll do the markups -- i just don't have access to an m104....

·
Registered
17 Posts
could someone snap a photo of their m104 engine and post it? i'll do the markups -- i just don't have access to an m104....
Here is 3 pictures for you. Sorry the tranny dipstick is in the shadow but i marked on the pciture in green where it is.

When checking the transfluid, make sure the car is parked level, and is running when you check the fluid.

hope this helps

fourdub

Attachments

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, dude -- awesome!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Video:  How to Check Automatic Transmission Fluid | eHow.com

Some -- including autobox professionals -- recommend getting a colleague to keep the car in a drive gear (brakes firmly on, of course) to get a true picture of the operating level of the ATF, having run the box through all gears as a preliminary procedure. It is also suggested that the job be done with surgical cleanliness, because any contamination of the fluid can be serious, so any old oily rag ain't good enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts