Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Unimogs and would like any info on the 1965 404S version. Any opinions or observations from your experiences or of others would be helpful. This particular truck has 46000Km and appears to be in decent condition. What is the resale value, and is there any demand for this type of vehicle? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
89 560SEL 69 280 SE coupe 95 S500 coupe 2013 B Class
419 Posts
I am new to Unimogs and would like any info on the 1965 404S version. Any opinions or observations from your experiences or of others would be helpful. This particular truck has 46000Km and appears to be in decent condition. What is the resale value, and is there any demand for this type of vehicle? Thanks in advance.
Swiss Army ones are the best as they were not abused like the NATO ones. Tires are often worn or old. Check the gera box and lockers to ensure everyhting works properly. Stay away from anything that is dented, rusted or repainted as they probably saw rough service. Current market price is about $10,000 US or Canadian. there are some on thwe west coast of Canada. The swiss ones should have all the documents with them including owners manual, tire chains, grease guns and if you are lucky the pioneer kit under the truck which is a pick and shovel
Doug Dees
Toronto Canada
1968 404 S Swiss army

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL
260 Posts
I've seen 404's for pretty cheap on the internet. I'm guessing that they do well off road....

I've seen 404's for pretty cheap on the internet. I'm guessing that they do well off road. How slow are they on the pavement? What is the top speed for a stock 404? The M180 doesn't sound like a powerful engine. How bad is it in real life?

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
1968 S404 Swiss Transporter 30,000 km.

45 mph is a nice cruising speed for these trucks. You can push it to 55 mph, but the racket is ear-splitting! Plan on about 10 mph hwy. Off-road you can do just about anything. The most expensive item is the canvas, so you must be aware than unless you remove it, you can cost yourself $1,000 charging through the trees. The original seats are comfortable, but after 2 hours you may want to take a stretch. There is no gas guage on most of the polder ones, so you sort of "learn" what your driving range is. The Jerry can holds 5 gallons, so you won't be totally stranded. Look to pay $8-$10 thousand for a low mileage one. Take a look at www.eurotruck-importers.com for some comparative conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts