Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My w220 got low on transmission fluid and i thought the transmission was going. It was driving funny it felt like it was dragging when i took my foot off the gas. It didnt have that free coasting feeling. And it wont go into sport mode. So i checked it and found out it was super low on fluid. And now i put the fluid in it and thats fine now. But the car still will not go into sport mode and its still have that slight dragging feeling when you take your foot off the gas. Im wounder what can i do to fix it ? Or can i reset the transmission since it has new fluid in it now?

W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Hi,

Try restting adaptives as well as code reset in TCU, will really need SDS to do that properly, but I have to say, it sounds to me like the Trans is toast :(

HTH,

Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
Questions that may help diagnosis.
  • how long have you had the car?
  • mileage
  • last time the transmission fluid changed
  • what spec fluid used
  • last time the adapter plug changed
  • where on the engine and how was the fluid measured (takes a special dipstick)
  • was the engine running and drive in park when measured
  • hot or cold reading
  • any signs of oil leak under the car
These transmissions are robust if taken care of by previous and current owners.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Try restting adaptives as well as code reset in TCU, will really need SDS to do that properly, but I have to say, it sounds to me like the Trans is toast :(

HTH,

Dam i hope not i watched YouTube on how to reset the transmission and it seems like its running a little smoother but i still can't get it to go into sport mode.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what i was thinking !!! But i can't feel anything shifting i mean the car drives but i have noticed that the rpm's are high and im only doing 35-40 mpr i need a way to check it.....

Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
Thats what i was thinking !!! But i can't feel anything shifting i mean the car drives but i have noticed that the rpm's are high and im only doing 35-40 mpr i need a way to check it.....
with the limited info provided, the transmission ecu appears to be in limp home mode.

W220 Moderator
Hi,

/\ /\ /\ Agreed ........................

I'd say it's in Second (limp), with stock 2.82 Diff it will do 60 mph + on a full throttle upshift before it shifts to 3rd

HTH,

Registered
To OP,

If you want constructive help from the forum, post the OBDII codes related to the transmission and answer questions from my first entry.

A run of the mill hand held scanner will not tell you all of the transmission codes, but will provide some information and maybe even pinpoint the cause (e.g. speed sensor). You will need access to a shop grade scanner to reset a hard limp home setting and get detailed codes.

Continuing to drive in second gear is not advisable.

W220 Moderator
My w220 got low on transmission fluid and i thought the transmission was going. It was driving funny it felt like it was dragging when i took my foot off the gas. It didnt have that free coasting feeling. And it wont go into sport mode. So i checked it and found out it was super low on fluid.
Hi @atmsmshr,

From OP's OP, the description above, i.e binding up and very low on fluid I would almost bet money that it has at least one Clutch Pack barbecued ;)

However, yes a Code Read and look at Data on a proper machine, plus a full reset would confirm whether it has survived before committing to a Rebuild or a Good Used Tranny 馃槈

Of course then there is the issue of where exactly did the Oil end up, Floor or TCU ..............................

Yes, like you said, more info needed as usual, Crystal Ball is not working today ;)

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Well the situation has changed now last friday i pulled up in my driveway and went to put the car in park.
And the gear shift effortlessly went into park like it wasn't even connected to anything.
So that seem super strange to me but when i took my foot off the brake to car rolled backwards while in park.
So i put the car back in drive pulled up a little bit and put the car back in park.
And it did the exact same thing rolled backwards.
So i put something behind the back wheel turned the car off and disconnected the battery.
The next day i plug the battery back up and out the blue the park gear kicked in but after the car is now in park now it won't start.
I turn the key all the lights come on but it won't crank up and start.

Registered
2003 S430
Most likely case is that the rod from the shifter assembly to the transmission has come adrift - time to get out and get under. Be very, very careful to make certain that the car can't move off the jackstands.

W220 Moderator
Hi,

You just might have got lucky then ............ Just maybe all your issues are due to the rod had excess play before it finally fell of, making the Trans and Shifter Data out of synch.

Note that when refitted there should be nylon / plastic bushes in the rod, if it moves on either end attachment it needs replaced, there should be NO SLACK / PLAY in it ;)

HTH,

Registered
2003 S430
While it seems odd, on my 2003 S430 there was a different part number plastic bushing on each end of the shift rod, and both were worn. I suggest that you get both before you start, and replace both.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts