Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1990 mercedes 300e
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help, I have a 1990 mercedes 300e. The check engine light went on and I took it to the shop, the guy said that there is nothin wrong with the car, just something happend with a fuse or somethng and its gonna cost almost a $1000 for him to fix it. I dont know whats going on but is there a way I could just get it to go off without spending alot of money?

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
if he does not know whats wrong with it whats the grand for? find another mechanic is number 1 on your list. number 2, if its running ok, take the light bulb out of that socket. if it has just came on there is something obviously going on.

·
Registered
1990 mercedes 300e
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he told me what was wrong with it, its just that it was so long ago, that I forgot, and the car is running great. So how do I take the bulb out?

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
do a search on cluster removal for your car. once out hold it up to the light and see which one is the checkengine lite. take that bulb out.

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
If your check engine light is on then there probably is soemthing wrong with the car, but if you say it's running fine, disconnect the battery for about an hour, and plug it back in see if the light still come's on if so, then you know for sure something is up.

·
Registered
1990 mercedes 300e
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, so I looked further into the problem, and it turned out to be a small vacume leak. Its been like this for almost 3years now. The machanic said its a sensitive sensor thats reading this problem and will cost almost a 1000bucks to fix. I think im just gonna take the bulb out:mad:

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,606 Posts
a vacuum leak is not going to cost $1000 to fix. its going to cost whatever it takes to replace the part.

be more specific about the problem, right now you are being vague and complaining about the price. we cant help you be more specific. we can help you lower that one grand hit to your wallet but im not going to bother if you cant bother to find out whats actually wrong with your car.

and you need to go to a good mercedes mechanic, not just a regular wrench. they may charge more but mine often fixes stuff thats not on the agenda and doesnt bill me for it.

·
Registered
1990 mercedes 300e
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem is I dont know what the vacume leak is coming from, or any of that, I just want to get the check engine light off. The car is fine, and the machanic said its no big deal. So all I need to know is how to take the bulb out.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,606 Posts
you can take out the light, but that wont take away the problem, whatever the problem is.

more importantly, if you do eventually have an actual engine problem, you wont know coz youll have taken out the light.

not an avenue to persue really.

but good luck in your venture.

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
neanderthal said:
you can take out the light, but that wont take away the problem, whatever the problem is.

more importantly, if you do eventually have an actual engine problem, you wont know coz youll have taken out the light.

not an avenue to persue really.

but good luck in your venture.
^^^What he said ^^^.

There should be a solid Benz mechanic in your area that can narrow any vacuum problem down much quicker than a $1000 romp through your car.

Guys, anyone know of a good shop in his area to recommend, he's only in the middle of the car capital of the world. ?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Like someone above said. Disconnect the battery and then reconnect a few minutes later and see if the light comes back.

I bet its the Oxygen sensor though. Finding/fixing a vacuum leak should not cost that much. Actually neither should changing an O2 sensor with OEM parts either. Heck doing both shouldn't cost a grand.

·
Registered
1988 300TE 217K miles and counting.
175 Posts
Thats an expensive mechanic.

My magic number is always $500, but heck who am I kidding. I take it to my uncle's shop and tell them to "put it on my tab".

·
Registered
1990 mercedes 300e
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, im good now, in a couple of days he mechanic is gonna fix the car, so thanx guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts