Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has a 2001 S430 that came with a Motorola Timeport phone.

I wanted to upgrade his phone for Christmas and was wondering if Mercedes/Motorola has a newer nicer phone with upgraded features (pictures, text messaging, etc.)

Actually most of all he wants a display on the outside so he can see who's calling before he opens the phone!

Can anyone direct me to a model that would work. Is it as easy as just switching phones and plugging in the new one or would some sort of adaption/reconfiguration be necessary.

Thank you all! Have a very safe and happy holiday season!
Karry
[email protected]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Karry...

My husband has a 2001 S430 that came with a Motorola Timeport phone.

I wanted to upgrade his phone for Christmas and was wondering if Mercedes/Motorola has a newer nicer phone with upgraded features (pictures, text messaging, etc.)
MB does offer the Motorola V60 now, which fits all of your (and your husband's) criteria. There will most likely be certain parts which will need to be changed, such as the holder and of course the phone itself, but otherwise, I can't see why it won't work with his 2001 S430.

You may find this Benzworld tech publication interesting:
http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=159

Note: the holder (the black part) is plugged into the phone in the picture below).

·
Registered
2002 G500
15 Posts
Upgrade from TimePort to V60 cellular phones.

I remember a lengthy discussion on this forum several months ago about this very issue. The problem is retrofitting older models (pre-November 2001 Production Dates). Some of the early MY2002 had the older TimePort fiber optic harness and relays, and if I remember it was a very expensive endeavor replacing the wiring (my W220 is in this category). I would believe that a MY2001 would have this same problem

This is not just an issue of going down to Verison or Cingular and plugging in a V60 phone / harness and it working. You have to purchase from MBUSA the Motorola V60 phone / harness.[:(!] You cannot purchase it from a cellular telephone vendor if you want it to work the W220 system because MBUSA has proprietary firmware in its version, which allows it to work in the hands free environment. This part of the reason why the V60 option was so much more than the TimePort option.[:0]

Of course, most problems can be overcome with enough money and time; it’s just not something you'll be able to slip under the Christmas tree.[:D]

·
Registered
01 E55
62 Posts
Actually it really isn't that big of a deal to upgrade to the V60. I've got a 99CLK that c...

Actually it really isn't that big of a deal to upgrade to the V60. I've got a 99CLK that came with a factory analog MBZ phone and I just upgraded it to a V60. It was easy and took me less than 30 minutes
to install it.

·
Registered
2002 G500
15 Posts
V60 upgrade.

Really? And it works with the voice recognition system? I've been told by MBUSA that it will not work without re-wiring the fiber optics. Very interesting!

·
Registered
01 E55
62 Posts
I didn't upgrade to the voice recognition system so I can't speak to that. I just change...

I didn't upgrade to the voice recognition system so I can't speak to that. I just changed out my factory analog phone to the new V60. Works great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts