Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some help with identifying a part. When I got into my car this morning half of a white plastic part was sitting on my passenger side and half was on the door sill. Please see attached photos.
I’d really appreciate knowing where it came from. it appears to have rust marks in it. I also found the ball clip in the convertible top on the passenger side disengaged. Could it have anything to do with the top?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Sol 1999 sl500 104k miles
Purple Fluid Wood Violet Material property
Purple Wood Violet Electric blue Hardwood
Purple Wood Cosmetics Violet Office supplies
Brown Wood Grey Natural material Wood stain
Brown Wood Rectangle Grey Flooring

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,650 Posts
Looks like you found the end of the trail of photographs.
The clip is part of the spacers that hold the control cables inside the seat back mechanism. Probably not critical. If it was me I would take the seat squab out and back rest to just check everything is still in order.

Sometimes innocuous things can lead to bigger problems. Best to nip early in the bud. 👍

Reactions: Solw

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you found the end of the trail of photographs.
The clip is part of the spacers that hold the control cables inside the seat back mechanism. Probably not critical. If it was me I would take the seat squab out and back rest to just check everything is still in order.

Sometimes innocuous things can lead to bigger problems. Best to nip early in the bud. 👍
Thanks so much for the quick reply Robm not sure what the seat squab is (back panel?) and back rest is that the round adjustable head rest?
I’ll pull the seat forward and tip the back forward and look to see what I can
Solw

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,650 Posts
Yeah, it’s a bit more than that. Seat squab is the soft base of the seat you sit on. Two long screws at front either side. You need good contortionist skills. Move seat back all the way. You will see the screw heads underneath the front of the seat. Unscrew, lift up base. Easy.

The back rest. Bit more complicated. I would need to check. Move seat forwards all way. IIRC two small screws at base of plastic back rest. You will see fixings holding back rest cushion in place.

Go careful. Hamfistedness means breakages. $$$.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it’s a bit more than that. Seat squab is the soft base of the seat you sit on. Two long screws at front either side. You need good contortionist skills. Move seat back all the way. You will see the screw heads underneath the front of the seat. Unscrew, lift up base. Easy.

The back rest. Bit more complicated. I would need to check. Move seat forwards all way. IIRC two small screws at base of plastic back rest. You will see fixings holding back rest cushion in place.

Go careful. Hamfistedness means breakages. $$$.
Thanks
I’m familiar with the seat bottom
Already replaced the driver side
I definitely want to take my time with the back, seems some of the plastic only needs to be looked at to break😊

·
Registered
2001 SL500
494 Posts
Thanks
I’m familiar with the seat bottom
Already replaced the driver side
I definitely want to take my time with the back, seems some of the plastic only needs to be looked at to break😊
IMHO, Looks like something that could be replaced by a Zip Tie?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree but I need to know where to put the zip tie so I need to know where it came from😉

1 - 9 of 9 Posts