Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
Turning it up is the fun bit lol. A c36 is a great engone for torque but they are bored to the limit of the block and youd never be able to do much in the way of turbo without cracking a bore. Dont let that discourage you tho its an excellent swap for easy power and grunt. Headgasket is like 3 or 4 more steps after valve cover mate dont let the whole picture of an engine scare you from jobs that are quiet easy with the right tools. As for turbo lag that is entirely up to turbo size. If you not gonna go much over 3-400 whewl then you could fit up a small gt25 or 28 and be on boost by like 2000 rpm or even less with a killer power and torque band. The m104 heads flow like no tomorrow so spool issues are only a thing with big turbos. Even with a 3582 youd be on boost by like 2500-3k and can rev them to 7k no problem. Thats a pretty damn usable powerband if you ask me with plenty of stock low end grunt.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
I just want to go with the easier way of getting at least 50 more power swapping the e3.6 brings a poterntial 278hp and a turbo could do more than 300hp. Which ever is easier is what I would like to go with, both are Time consuming and slightly pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
Turning it up is the fun bit lol. A c36 is a great engone for torque but they are bored to the limit of the block and youd never be able to do much in the way of turbo without cracking a bore. Dont let that discourage you tho its an excellent swap for easy power and grunt. Headgasket is like 3 or 4 more steps after valve cover mate dont let the whole picture of an engine scare you from jobs that are quiet easy with the right tools. As for turbo lag that is entirely up to turbo size. If you not gonna go much over 3-400 whewl then you could fit up a small gt25 or 28 and be on boost by like 2000 rpm or even less with a killer power and torque band. The m104 heads flow like no tomorrow so spool issues are only a thing with big turbos. Even with a 3582 youd be on boost by like 2500-3k and can rev them to 7k no problem. Thats a pretty damn usable powerband if you ask me with plenty of stock low end grunt.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
I honostly prefer the turbo as it sounds much more fun and I know my current engine is in great condition, other than the possibility of the original head gasket blowing. Yes being on boost at 2,500-3k sounds very good.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
7,034 Posts
adding a turbocharger will NEVER PASS CALIFORNIA SMOG. E3201995USA is a new driver with his first car, its his daily driver, and he lives in California.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
adding a turbocharger will NEVER PASS CALIFORNIA SMOG. E3201995USA is a new driver with his first car, its his daily driver, and he lives in California.
Are you talking about the visual test or the fact that it won’t pass emissions?

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
7,034 Posts
Are you talking about the visual test or the fact that it won’t pass emissions?

they will take one look at the non-factory turbocharger and not even test it, just fail you on the spot.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,161 Posts
AFAIK, there is not a single turbo kit out there for the M104 that has a CARB EO

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
AFAIK, there is not a single turbo kit out there for the M104 that has a CARB EO
I’m saying if you were to get a carb turbo kit and get a custom manifold and to make it work with said kit.

·
Premium Member
7,034 Posts
CARB EO's are for specific kits installed on a specific engine, and even then, you need an inspection by a CARB Referee after installing it before anyone will smog it. AFAIK, the only M104 turbo kit still available is from TurboBandits in Estonia, and have never been type approved in the USA. A 'full kit' for a M104.99x is 6600 euros (about $7300?), and still requires you to weld up the intake, build/weld a custom exhaust system, and come up with the 'tune' ... (*)

my son had a Vanagon w/ a Audi flat 4 engine conversion kit which nominally had a CARB EO. He spent a year trying to get it legally registered in California, finally he moved to Reno NV where it wasn't a problem. And the joke was, the Audi 4 was far cleaner than the stock wasserboxer ...

(*) from TurboBandit's FAQ on Mercedes I6's...

What is the most necessary I must have to turbocharge my car ???
EFI kit for both NA and Turbo engine

ECU Standalone magament system
Fuel injectors
Ignition coil/coils (Basic/ wasted spark/ Coil on plug)
Allways better to make a new engine wiring harness.
Power supplie station + relays
CLT water temp sensor
IAT Air temp sensor (connected near the throttle body)
TPS Throttle possion sensor
Wideband Lambda sensor
VR/Hall Crank position sensor
VR/Hall Cam position sensor
Triggerwheel 60-02.
(MS3X can support then most of the different models triggers on the market so you can use stock triggerwheel)
If your car does not have EFI system from the begining and instead has carburator or K-jet system then you even need new, modern fuel system:
Fuelrail, Fuel pressure regulator and new fuel lines.
For the turbo you even need stronger fuel pump.

Turbokit basic parts:
Turbocharger
Exhaust Turbomanifold
Wastegate
Blow of valve
Oilfeed support for turbo
Oildrain return from the turbo to the oilpan
Airfilter Openair
Intercooler
Intake pipes between turbo and intercooler and between intercoller and intake manifold.
Silicone hoses and clamps for intake pipes.
Downpipe + exhaust system
If your car does not have EFI system from the begining and instead has carburator or K-jet system then you even need new, modern fuel system:
Fuelrail, fuel pressure regulator, fuel lines and stronger fuelpump.
Good to have things:
Fuel pressure sensor to control fuelpressure.
Knock sensor to control detonation.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
491 Posts
CARB EO's are for specific kits installed on a specific engine, and even then, you need an inspection by a CARB Referee after installing it before anyone will smog it. AFAIK, the only M104 turbo kit still available is from TurboBandits in Estonia, and have never been type approved in the USA. A 'full kit' for a M104.99x is 6600 euros (about $7300?), and still requires you to weld up the intake, build/weld a custom exhaust system, and come up with the 'tune' ... (*)

my son had a Vanagon w/ a Audi flat 4 engine conversion kit which nominally had a CARB EO. He spent a year trying to get it legally registered in California, finally he moved to Reno NV where it wasn't a problem. And the joke was, the Audi 4 was far cleaner than the stock wasserboxer ...

(*) from TurboBandit's FAQ on Mercedes I6's...

What is the most necessary I must have to turbocharge my car ???
EFI kit for both NA and Turbo engine

ECU Standalone magament system
Fuel injectors
Ignition coil/coils (Basic/ wasted spark/ Coil on plug)
Allways better to make a new engine wiring harness.
Power supplie station + relays
CLT water temp sensor
IAT Air temp sensor (connected near the throttle body)
TPS Throttle possion sensor
Wideband Lambda sensor
VR/Hall Crank position sensor
VR/Hall Cam position sensor
Triggerwheel 60-02.
(MS3X can support then most of the different models triggers on the market so you can use stock triggerwheel)
Fuelrail, Fuel pressure regulator and new fuel lines.
For the turbo you even need stronger fuel pump.

Turbokit basic parts:
Turbocharger
Exhaust Turbomanifold
Wastegate
Blow of valve
Oilfeed support for turbo
Oildrain return from the turbo to the oilpan
Airfilter Openair
Intercooler
Intake pipes between turbo and intercooler and between intercoller and intake manifold.
Silicone hoses and clamps for intake pipes.
Downpipe + exhaust system
Fuelrail, fuel pressure regulator, fuel lines and stronger fuelpump.
Good to have things:
Fuel pressure sensor to control fuelpressure.
Knock sensor to control detonation.
Ok well wow, um if anyone as a W124 with an aftermarket turbo that has passed smog in California let me know. I guess if I want to turbo I will have to go the not very legal route and pay for a guaranteed smog check pass, I know some people. It also costs ALOT. But for right now I’m going to just keep driving my car until, someone successfully turbo charges the w124 for about $3,000

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,161 Posts
Ok well wow, um if anyone as a W124 with an aftermarket turbo that has passed smog in California let me know. I guess if I want to turbo I will have to go the not very legal route and pay for a guaranteed smog check pass, I know some people. It also costs ALOT....
Be very cautious about these "guaranteed smog pass" places. The State has been cracking down on them, including the customers who wilfully go there because they know their car will not pass. You can thank the Fast&Furious crowd for that.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts