Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, kinda new here, but I’ll get the lead out. I have a 2005 Mercedes C230K, w 61k miles. I’m need to replace my front shocks, as well as the control arm bushing (the one that’s pressed in to the control arm. I found new control arms that come with said bushings pre-installed to the control arm from FCP euro ( Mercedes Control Arm - Lemforder 2043304311 ) . My questions are, 1) Would you guys recommend to get mercedes genuine parts or go after market? 2) Has anyone had experience with the control arms I provided a link to? Are they good or bad?, and lastly, if I could get recommendations for front shocks, my mechanic said I should go genuine Mercedes for shocks, but I want to see if you guys have any brands of good quality but that are cheaper. Thanks again
Here’s the VIN if you guys need it WDBRF40J15F680550

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,200 Posts
Hey guys, kinda new here, but I’ll get the lead out. I have a 2005 Mercedes C230K, w 61k miles. I’m need to replace my front shocks, as well as the control arm bushing (the one that’s pressed in to the control arm. I found new control arms that come with said bushings pre-installed to the control arm from FCP euro ( Mercedes Control Arm - Lemforder 2043304311 ) . My questions are, 1) Would you guys recommend to get mercedes genuine parts or go after market? 2) Has anyone had experience with the control arms I provided a link to? Are they good or bad?, and lastly, if I could get recommendations for front shocks, my mechanic said I should go genuine Mercedes for shocks, but I want to see if you guys have any brands of good quality but that are cheaper. Thanks again
Here’s the VIN if you guys need it WDBRF40J15F680550
Lemforder is fine.
Front struts is what you have - you can probably order the oem shocks separately. oem is always good if the oem ride is your preference. You just need to find the best price (online). You can also see if your stealership/ indie will price match or beat it.

your vin info - part #50 - shocks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lemforder is fine.
Front struts is what you have - you can probably order the oem shocks separately. oem is always good if the oem ride is your preference. You just need to find the best price (online). You can also see if your stealership/ indie will price match or beat it.

your vin info - part #50 - shocks
So I need front struts or shocks ? Or is that the same thing? Sorry I’m kinda new. I clicked the link you provided but I’m having trouble understanding it because it seems to be a diagram with a long parts list, but I don’t know the part I need. Would you be able to provide a direct link to new, Mercedes brand shocks / struts ? If not it’s fine

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,200 Posts
So I need front struts or shocks ? Or is that the same thing? Sorry I’m kinda new. I clicked the link you provided but I’m having trouble understanding it because it seems to be a diagram with a long parts list, but I don’t know the part I need. Would you be able to provide a direct link to new, Mercedes brand shocks / struts ? If not it’s fine

You can buy a compete strut assembly or you can purchase just the shock, in which your indie (if they are equipped) can (1) remove your strut assembly, and then (2) take apart the assembly to replace the oem shock. Many DIY will do (1) and either themselves do (2) with the proper spring compressor or possibly take it to a idie shop to have the shock replaced and then re-install the strut themselves.

How do you know you need new shocks?

EDIT: for a 2005 C230K it shows....- oem is sachs - 2005 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan - Suspension & Steering - Suspension, Shocks & Springs - Shock Absorbers, Strut Mounting Hardware, Suspension Strut Assemblies

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You can buy a compete strut assembly or you can purchase just the shock, in which your indie (if they are equipped) can (1) remove your strut assembly, and then (2) take apart the assembly to replace the oem shock. Many DIY will do (1) and either themselves do (2) with the proper spring compressor or possibly take it to a idie shop to have the shock replaced and then re-install the strut themselves.

How do you know you need new shocks?

EDIT: for a 2005 C230K it shows....- oem is sachs - 2005 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sedan - Suspension & Steering - Suspension, Shocks & Springs - Shock Absorbers, Strut Mounting Hardware, Suspension Strut Assemblies
Well, if I’m being honest I don’t entirely know. However, when the car is not moving and I turn the wheel left or right I get of noise, as well as there is a lot of play in the whee, at higher speeds 30+ the wheel will bounce or shake or move if the road gets rough, the car doesn’t stay in a straight line, and I’m wearing my Front tires unevenly, but those are all symptoms of pretty bad control arm bushings ( my mechanic looked at the actual control arms and said those are fine, but the lemforders come with the bushing and control arm some I’m just gonna replace both. What makes me think the shock/struts are worn is going over potholes or uneven terrain creates a decent bit of shaking to come through to the cabin, as well as they do not absorb anything that would cuz a bouncing up and down or left and right very well. If I hit a pothole above 15-20 mph it creates a louder sound than I’d expect. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Could be anyone of these worn out up front front - Ball joints (lower and upper), control arms (upper), control arm bushings (lower), tie rods (inner/outer).
Your indie looked a these? He should have if he looked at your upper and lower control arms. I would find another indie that is familiar with MBs, imho.

You may possibly need new front end shocks, but I would check the other issues first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be anyone of these worn out up front front - Ball joints (lower and upper), control arms (upper), control arm bushings (lower), tie rods (inner/outer).
Your indie looked a these? He should have if he looked at your upper and lower control arms. I would find another indie that is familiar with MBs, imho.

You may possibly need new front end shocks, but I would check the other issues first.

I had two mechanics look at it, one said new bushings, struts, and control arms, and he quoted me really high, the second guy I went to st a recommendation of a friend is a single employee small business owner, at first I didn’t tell him about my problems, and just had him replace my front rotors pads and sensors, and to see what he said. At which point he brought up the bushings and struts, but when I asked about my control arms said they were fine. I’ve also had him do a oil and filter change on the car since, that’s what leads me to believe it is what it is

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well, if I’m being honest I don’t entirely know. However, when the car is not moving and I turn the wheel left or right I get of noise, as well as there is a lot of play in the whee, at higher speeds 30+ the wheel will bounce or shake or move if the road gets rough, the car doesn’t stay in a straight line, and I’m wearing my Front tires unevenly, but those are all symptoms of pretty bad control arm bushings ( my mechanic looked at the actual control arms and said those are fine, but the lemforders come with the bushing and control arm some I’m just gonna replace both. What makes me think the shock/struts are worn is going over potholes or uneven terrain creates a decent bit of shaking to come through to the cabin, as well as they do not absorb anything that would cuz a bouncing up and down or left and right very well. If I hit a pothole above 15-20 mph it creates a louder sound than I’d expect. I could be wrong though.
A lot of play in what wheel? Steering wheel?

The noise, when turning your steering wheel left and right, check the level of the steering fluid in the reservoir?
Front tires uneven wear - Have a wheel alignment shop look into this. They can also verify your other suspension issues I mentioned in post#6

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of play in what wheel? Steering wheel?

The noise, when turning your steering wheel left and right, check the level of the steering fluid in the reservoir?
Front tires uneven wear - Have a wheel alignment shop look into this. They can also verify your other suspension issues I mentioned in post#6
I have had my mechanic look at the steering fluid but I haven’t, I’ll look up a video right now and check it out. And when I mean play in the wheel I mean the driving wheel. By play I mean the inconsistencies in the road are easily translated into left or right movement of the steering wheel, and when I had my mechanic Hugo do my brakes pads sensors and rotors for the front I asked him about a alignment, and he said it might help a little but the parts were worn. I went under the car with him and he showed me how the bushing was dried out (15 year old car, in Los Angeles California it’s entire life), he also showed me the control arms were good by hitting them and playing around with them a little, he also moved my actual wheels back a forth and showed they had some play. He recommended that I don’t go over 70-80mph with how the car is. That’s not a problem for me, because I’m LA your lucky to go 40mph for longer than 30 mins haha ! But again I wanted to thank you for your help. I’m 19 and this is my first car so I’m flying blind

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Photos are worth a thousand words. You should keep a photo record of your problem areas - before and after (evryone has a mobile device so no excuses. ;)

Steering fluid, you can check yourself. Pretty simple. Is the PS groaning when you turn the steering wheel left and right?

If you haven't replaced your fluids, or no recent records verifying, I would inspect them and decide accordingly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Photos are worth a thousand words. You should keep a photo record of your problem areas - before and after (evryone has a mobile device so no excuses. ;)

Steering fluid, you can check yourself. Pretty simple. Is the PS groaning when you turn the steering wheel left and right?

If you haven't replaced your fluids, or no recent records verifying, I would inspect them and decide accordingly.
It doesn’t groan, but it does make a noise, app most like two metal peices or more with a rubber joint connecting them, and the rubber being worn out. I wouldn’t know how else to explain it. Maybe imagine a human hip and hip bone (rubber is we’re the connect, and any rotation of the hip would cause noise, idk if this analogy helps) I can go outside and take pictures, but of what? And also I don’t have a way to raise the vechile

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It doesn’t groan, but it does make a noise, app most like two metal peices or more with a rubber joint connecting them, and the rubber being worn out. I wouldn’t know how else to explain it. Maybe imagine a human hip and hip bone (rubber is we’re the connect, and any rotation of the hip would cause noise, idk if this analogy helps) I can go outside and take pictures, but of what? And also I don’t have a way to raise the vechile
I'm 60+, if I can crawl under, you can do it too. ;)
Photos of the joints, bushings, etc.
Make sure you have a good led trouble light. :)
Next time, take photos at your indie's when it's up on a hoist as they explain and show you. That's what I do sometimes.

I would also look into the bushings/grommets on your stabilizer (sway) bars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next time, take photos at your indie's when it's up on a hoist as they explain and show you. That's what I do sometimes.

Will do, I’ll get on the photos ASAP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

first off, I’d like to apologize for the the weeks time that has past, I’ve been very busy with work and get home late, but I have a lot of photos. Here is little debrief for the photos attached, first art two videos (edit : I can’t attach videos, do you have email ) of what I believe are the struts/springs. I don’t have a way to lift the car but I hope these will help, next are photos of the control arms and bushings and the surrounding area, I marked the with Red “L” or “R” to correspond with the left or right side of the car. Lastly, I scanned my car with the 40$ OBD2 reader I have, and I took a picture of all the information it gave me (I don’t know what 90% of it means) but maybe you do hahah. Again I’m sorry for the late reply, but I hope this gives you a better idea of what I’ve got. Thanks again, Benjamin

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts