Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Mercedes-Benz 350SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I finally made it over here. What a great forum!

I figure this is the place where I can get more info on my 73 350SE. I will attach a couple of pics. The vin is: 11602812016513. I'd like to find out anything I can about its options history etc. I do know it is a euro spec car that was brought over from Germany just over 15 years ago by the family that I bought it off here in Toronto, Canada. Also, is this engine original? There is a button on the center of the dash that has a glow plus symbol! Was this a diesel converted to a gas V8!? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciate. And thanks for having me here! Sorry for being such a noobie and I hope these arent dumb questions. But I am not fluent in these old Benzs...yet ;)

Here are some pics. The colour aint for everyone but a very cool car :D

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Beautiful car! I believe I have seen this for sale online (or one just like it) in the past and have always been tempted by it.

As for the options it has you can look on the radiator support for the data plate which will have a bunch of 3 digit codes. If you look a little further in this forum there is a breakdown of ALL of those codes and what option they correspond to. I believe Nutz 4 Benz is the one who posted them.

You vin# states that the car is a 350SE 116 is the chassis and 028 is the designation for the 3.5L short wheel base. As for the glow plug light on the cluster, it is most likely that the cluster was replaced at some point with one from a 116 diesel.

You can also email the Mercedes Benz Classic Center with your vin and ask if they would provide you with a data card. They may require proof of ownership but this is a neat piece of history to have for your car as it will usually break down the original options, place of delivery and original owner names.

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of Mercedes Benz and especially W116.

·
Registered
1973 Mercedes-Benz 350SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello again Mike. Yes it was on ebay a few times.

Thanks again for the welcome and for all the great info.

·
Registered
W123 & W116
118 Posts
Congratulations, that's one beautiful car. How much did you end up paying for it?

·
Registered
1973 Mercedes-Benz 350SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations, that's one beautiful car. How much did you end up paying for it?
Thanks but i've had this for a couple of years. It was for sale but it didnt go. I've put it away and just decided to learn more about it and drive it once in a while :)

·
Registered
W123 & W116
118 Posts
Sorry, from the way it's written it looks like you just bought the car.:p
Well, like MB_Mike said, you should really try and contact the MB classic center. They should tell you everything you need to to know and they are pretty quick to respond. W116s are great cars and it's good you'll finally put it on the road.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1973 Mercedes-Benz 350SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, from the way it's written it looks like you just bought the car.:p
Well, like MB_Mike said, you should really try and contact the MB classic center. They should tell you everything you need to to know and they are pretty quick to respond. W116s are great cars and it's good you'll finally put it on the road.:thumbsup:
Hi there. Sorry for the laaaate reply! :D but yes, thank you.

I still have the car. I take it out from time to time. It has been a tough car to sell around here. Lot's a looks and great compliments but just very few people who truly appreciate it and would pay decent money for it.

I am a dealer and I use this car as a center piece and it does a great job! :D

I wont give the car away. if need be I will keep it for another 4 years or more :)

Take care guys.

Vasco

1 - 7 of 7 Posts