Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had no problems with the automatic heating/cooling system in my 1995 e320 cabriolet until the other day. All that I get now is hot air coming out. It is not blowing out, just coming out of the vents. The temp control does nothing, and the manual buttons for the blower do nothing. I can't find where the fuse is for the system. Is it some place other than the fuse box under the hood? Can anyone point me to some things I can check? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,396 Posts
Sounds like your blower fan isn't working. Yes, there is a second independent fuse near the shock tower (driver's side). It can be cracked and you could not see it. Do a search for a pic, because it's been shown often. It's a thin strip of fusable material. Other than that, it could be your blower motor itself, the relay etc. Best to start with the fuses though.....

Kevin

·
Registered
'97 E420, '86 Mustang GT, '88 GT, '89 LX
269 Posts
My system stopped working and it was the primary fuse in the main fuse box. The fuse had a barely noticeable hairline crack in it, replaced it and all is well now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I changed #7 last night, but still no change in the blower. I'll look around for pics as Real1Shepard suggests, but nothing jump up at me when I looked for the external fuse.

Before I go tearing apart the dash; if it were the motor, why am I getting hot air seeping through the vents? That's why I thought it may be an overall failure in the heating/AC system. Hoping for a fuse!!!! Should I expect the compressor to engage, regardless of the condition of the blower motor? I didn't hear it from the cockpit, but I'll try again with someone adjusting the temp control.

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
Check the duo valve, it may be sticking. Do a further search on the duo valve. Also you may want to complete your profile. good luck

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Thanks guys. I changed #7 last night, but still no change in the blower. I'll look around for pics as Real1Shepard suggests, but nothing jump up at me when I looked for the external fuse.

Before I go tearing apart the dash; if it were the motor, why am I getting hot air seeping through the vents? That's why I thought it may be an overall failure in the heating/AC system. Hoping for a fuse!!!! Should I expect the compressor to engage, regardless of the condition of the blower motor? I didn't hear it from the cockpit, but I'll try again with someone adjusting the temp control.
You'll get hot air trickling out, even if the blower motor is not working. The duo valve came after my model yr...you may well have this. I'm hoping it's the external fuse...has its own little box. A pic would sure help you...try this:http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1525398-fuse-link-location-ac-heat-blower.html (Scroll down)

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
The "strip fuse" is located between the left strut tower and the alarm button. Pic's below.

Good Luck,

Jayare
I was hoping you'd see this and post the pics.;-)

Kevin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. One more question if I may. The fuse must be under this shroud. What is it's function and how do I get it out (I guess that's two questions). I took the three lock nuts off, but it appears to be securely slipped over the metal barrel housing the shock nut. I don't want to force it any more than I have to. Is that all that's holding on now (sorry, third question)?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Cool. One more question if I may. The fuse must be under this shroud. What is it's function and how do I get it out (I guess that's two questions). I took the three lock nuts off, but it appears to be securely slipped over the metal barrel housing the shock nut. I don't want to force it any more than I have to. Is that all that's holding on now (sorry, third question)?
Uhhhh....not familiar with that assembly, but unless they relocated the blower fuse, it should be under that whatever-it-is.:confused:
The pics Jayare submitted are what I see on my car....

Kevin

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet, 2007 E350 Sport P2, 1995 E420
406 Posts
Look on the right (passenger's) side in front of the battery for the strip fuse. I have a cab and that's where it is. You don't need to remove anything, and the part you are looking at is a vibration damper unique to the cabs, don't remove it.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Good you chimed in...cabs are different then in at least that respect.:thumbsup:
Hope he sees this in time....

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts