Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am wondering if anyone can please help me with this problem I am having with my 95' SL 500. I'm blowing fuse # 5 which is a white 8A fuse which controls, Stop Lamp, Instrument cluster, front roof light bulb, as a result of that it sets off the dashboard warning lighs for ASR, ABS, and the Rollbar also my Engine Temp Gauge goes dead and the warning lamp on the dash for the Parking brake does not turn on when the parking brake is engaged. I would look into it more myself but I do not have the instruction manual, if someone can please help me with this I'm going crazy. I do not know if this is of any importance but my third brake light does not work (never did probably the wiring is bad) and the driver's side map light is not present (I have it but the lens is broken so it will not stay on) thanks everyone

·
Registered
1995 Sl320 Roadster
66 Posts
First check all the fuses.Then check to make sure that the screws are tight inside the maplight unit (mine had loose screws which were shorting out and blowing the fuse #5 or 9 and causing havoc with my cluster).
If everything checks out ok,then check Voltage regulator and alternator function and alternator power wiring harness.Then last but by no means least,check out the cluster itself.MB uses 3 layer circuit boards in their clusters which are very expensive and known to fail after a number of years.Mine went after 10 years.You can elect to have it reconditioned by Beckmann Technologies to save some money.It costs about $400.A new one is $1058 plus tax at the MB dealership.Also the 3rd brake light wires eventually break at the right trunk hinge due to bending over and over through the years.I just cut the rubber casing open,cut the wire and spliced using and electrical connector or heat shrink wrap.It cures the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll give that a try, I did one thing though I noticed a rattling in my trunk lid when I looked the third brake light had come loose from it's bracket I snapped it back in place, replaced the fuse and so far it's been a few days and no problem yet (knock on wood)I would figure that the third brake light is playing a part in this because when it was blowing the fuses I would replace it and there would be no problem at all until I would step on the brake pedal to get it in gear. Well let's hope it's nothing major I've only had this SL since February when I sold my '99 C230 Kompressor and it's been a great car and a great buy all that it really needs is new tires a little down the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts