Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to anyone who has had this issue, or have successfully done an aftermarket radio install. I just recently tried to replace original head unit with an aftermarket android head unit, I connected it with Harness attachments it turns on okay but I am not getting any sound, what are my options?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,743 Posts
Welcome 1stopauto, :)

Please update your profile with suv info model, year and your location so members can reply to your Qs.
Cheers.
We dont know you ride: bose, non-bose system, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey sorry I just realized that information was not in there, it is a 2002 mercedes benz ml320 with bose system

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,743 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Have you read the post ?
You have a oem FO (fibre optics) Bose system You simply cannot plug n play.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
you have to do one of two things either run speaker wire is from the head unit to the foot well driver side remove amp and tie in there.

Or replace amp tie it into the speaker wires then run rca to the new amp.

Regardless not an easy job volumes have been written on this site.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
No there is no decoder made for W163 the one you posted is only for W164.

As I said it is not an easy job there are no short cuts at all. It is time consuming most car audio shops do not want to touch it.

I will get you the best post written on how to do it

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
206 Posts
Hi Wally. I have a 99 without fiber optic. Can I just plug an aftermarket radio into the Bose amp?
No there is no decoder made for W163 the one you posted is only for W164.

As I said it is not an easy job there are no short cuts at all. It is time consuming most car audio shops do not want to touch it.

I will get you the best post written on how to do it

·
Registered
2001 ML-W163 270CDI AMG styling
1 Posts
Hello to anyone who has had this issue, or have successfully done an aftermarket radio install. I just recently tried to replace original head unit with an aftermarket android head unit, I connected it with Harness attachments it turns on okay but I am not getting any sound, what are my options?
Hi I installed a Pioneer avh-8500 many years ago and had the same problem. The solution is that the amplifier needs a trigger signal to turn it self on... U can use the blue 5v output from the radio to trigger electrical antenna, to turn on the amplifier. ... and viola!!! You will get the sound!!!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
Hi I installed a Pioneer avh-8500 many years ago and had the same problem. The solution is that the amplifier needs a trigger signal to turn it self on... U can use the blue 5v output from the radio to trigger electrical antenna, to turn on the amplifier. ... and viola!!! You will get the sound!!!
Dagon his issue is that his amp has a fiber optic sound input so there is no input signal to the amp at all

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Thank you guys for swift responses, I am trying to weight out the options here, I found this link would something like this possibly work to get the sound going without re wiring......[/URL]
1stop,

No FO connection on your Android HU so you are SOL.

You will have to do some rewiring. The bose system in the W163s uses the FO system and it's proprietary (as already stated). You're replacing it with a modern double din with all the bells and whistles and simply plugging it into the existing oem harness (that you show) will not work. That oem harness you connected to works in conjunction with the oem FO. IF it were an non-FO system, it's just a plug and play.

This being said, the simplest way (which will require some re-wiring, no out-of-the-box plug and play) is to cut the wiring harness on the DS that connects to the bose amp on that side and follow the post#4 link and add your own matching harness, OR re-purpose the oem amp box (which I did) using only the connector built into the amp on the DS. I gutted the amp and wired up the double din wiring harness to the appropriate terminals on the gutted amp. I did this for ease of connectivity to the existing oem harness.

Follow the link in post #4 on the wiring scheme and it will work fine.
FYI- the most difficult aspect of this swap was getting access to the amp under the dash (at least for us older folks)
Rewiring and gutting was the easy stuff (with the right tools)

NO additional amp replacement required unless you want to add one.
A few of us (hard-of-hearing) members dont need to drive a boom-box w163. We hear our selected tunes fine 😃

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 7.36.42 PM.png

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
these are the images of the original harness and the harness adapter plugged into the aftermarket head unit, all powers up fine but still no sound coming from speakers
As Khomer stated many use the old amp as a junction box. You preserve the existing wire harness that way. You can use your current amp or get one from a parts yard, that way if you sell the ml you can reinstall the old system easily, if you want to keep your newer head unit.

Here is the post I mentioned:

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
594 Posts
Hi Wally. I have a 99 without fiber optic. Can I just plug an aftermarket radio into the Bose amp?
Here is the 2001 should be the same

CCF08302019_00000.jpg

See here also last post:

·
Registered
2 Posts

I would go on crutchfield website and pay the $30 for their 90 technical support. It also has something to do with there is a change of colors between stock radio and aftermarket harnesses.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i used crutchfield for my 2000 ml320. They send u everything literally plug and play. So easy!! Worth looking into.
Problem u are having has to do with pre-amp not being turned on. Mercedes are tricky, trust me look into crutchfield!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts