Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought a 82 500SEL that has side skirts/actual pentas/amg steering wheel and metal amg badge on the back.

My euro epc doesnt say the correct codes anymore so i have to wait on the classic center.

Who wants to help out? I have not seen the car in person as i originally bought it for parts.

WDB12603612019173 is the vin. EPC even says it is a 500se not sel

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Epc does state it a 500SE. the VIN should start WDB126039 for an SEL.
Are you sure it's an SEL? Unless the Vin plt has been changed, I have not seen it wrong on EPC. EPC SA codes will not show AMG upgrades.

Looks like a Lapis Blue/Grey car.
Pull the SA codes from the EPC and take the numbers to the Japanese site below. Pretty good reference site.
Here is the Japanese site for MB codes:
Mercedes Code Descriptions

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
Cool, throw some pictures up, I'm sure you'll get tons of feedback from there. No worries with it being a SE over an SEL (if that's the case), the SE is more rare that the SEL .I'd bet a bit more desirable as well.

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so sides skirts are no name brand and one was missing completely when i picked up the car.

The rims are Penta style ATS that have been chromed sadly and i can not see an offset or any other marks other than ATS made in germany.

The car runs and drives good other then the shifter linkage being completely fubar.

The original color is in the door jams and god looks good but someone painted it a nasty version of astral maybe.

here are pix:

1982 Mercedes-benz 380SEL pictures by merzcar - Photobucket

And here is a close up of one on the car.

Attachments

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
AMG badge looks real and period. AMG wheels were made by ATS, but should be marked AMG on the face. The steering wheel may have been used by AMG at one point, but without a center pad and a bad recover is really worth very little.

The rest of the car looks trashed. It is a short-wheel base car, but still looks very rough. Good luck with whatever you plan on doing with it.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am toying with the idea of swapping the interior and having it repainted to oh so awesome original color.

I am pretty sure the it was put together as an amg late in its life.

The springs are black with MB red paint dots so i think they were just cut as i dont think amg or eibach used that paint combo.

Anyways ill keep you all posted. Because the drive train seems good and it still has all euro parts in place other then corner lights i think im going to restore it and leave it as is minus the
wheels and badges.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Its a 500 for sure - look at the air cleaner anchor points ON the valve covers.

Check under the valve cover oil fill cap, and look at the cam rockers under the lobes for solid lifter retainer clips.

What color are the springs (white?)

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
I am toying with the idea of swapping the interior and having it repainted to oh so awesome original color.

I am pretty sure the it was put together as an amg late in its life.

The springs are black with MB red paint dots so i think they were just cut as i dont think amg or eibach used that paint combo.

Anyways ill keep you all posted. Because the drive train seems good and it still has all euro parts in place other then corner lights i think im going to restore it and leave it as is minus the
wheels and badges.
That interior has seen better days and then some.

First, if you are thinking of changing out the entire interior I would suggest you find a Gen2 SE parts car, maybe one with a bad motor/trans but with good interior. They are out there if you take the time to look around, it would be much easier in the long run and would probably save you a lot of money and time searching for this or that part.

Second, if you go with a Gen2 interior be aware that not all accessories will be the same. For example: front seats from a Gen2 will bolt right into a Gen1 but none of the harness plugs will work.
There are also some differences in the dash from Gen2 to Gen1 pending on the year model, for example: 86-88 Gen2=glove box and 89-91=passenger airbag not to mention the lower dash knee bolsters and other bits.

However, if you are a good DIY'er and have some knowledge of vehicle electrics than this won't be very complicated but there will be a lot of work involved to accomplish the interior swap from a Gen2 into a Gen1.

I am not sure about the Gen1 chassis wiring but I do know that most of the accessory harnesses placed in a Gen2 are removable independently so to speak, for example: the Gen2 window harness can be removed and placed in the Gen1, the seat control harness can be completely removed from the door and chassis and placed into the Gen1.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Dieselkraut is a diesel genius and a 123 genius, so I think he'll do great with this car.
I agree with the Awesomeness of Lapis Blue.
Yep 500 engine.
500SE is rarer car than an SEL.Handles better due to the 4In. shorter WB than the SEL.

The early W126's do have some unique door and seat switches as they are wired soldered in place instead of having plugs on the back.

Shorty sedans are great cars!!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
Good luck with it then. Totally agree with getting a spares car with a good interior. You can pick them up for next to nothing and do the swap at your leisure.
Even the headliner isn't too bad to swap out, especially once the rest of the interior is out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts