Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, the car (2003 clk55 amg, w209)was running and driving great. I just purchased the car from Chula Vista, CA and drive it 7 hours back home with only 1 , 5 minute stop for gas but other than that drive the 7 hours straight no problem at all, made the trip beautifully. Been driving it for about a week perfectly then all of a sudden when driving starts bogging out or misfiring. Was still drivable for a bit but then started misfiring really bad to where I just turned it off. Then after that it just cranks but won’t start. Everything else still comes on and works including the fuel pump priming and engine cranking but now it won’t turn over. Also a check engine light came on so I’ll be seeing what codes I get. Any other help would be great! Just got the car now I can’t enjoy it but it was just running flawlessly

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,699 Posts
Crank but no start is often caused by a bad Crank Position Sensor..
That will often surface after a long drive...due to the prolonged heat..
When I got my CLK55 ,,,first thing I did was replace the CPS. They often fail after about 13 years ,,regardless of mileage.

It is possible it is something else but if you get code P0335 ,,that is the crank position sensor. But normally the car actually dies rather than misfiring.
It is something that should be replaced as normal maintenance even if you don't have a problem ,,,use genuine Bosch ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crank but no start is often caused by a bad Crank Position Sensor..
That will often surface after a long drive...due to the prolonged heat..
When I got my CLK55 ,,,first thing I did was replace the CPS. They often fail after about 13 years ,,regardless of mileage.

It is possible it is something else but if you get code P0335 ,,that is the crank position sensor. But normally the car actually dies rather than misfiring.
It is something that should be replaced as normal maintenance even if you don't have a problem ,,,use genuine Bosch ..
Thank you very much for your reply and input, and I’ll definitely get the Bosch brand cps if I get that engine code. And yes the car was running and driving great, just made a quick trip to take my lady to work, shut the car off, started back up and drove home and about halfway was when I got the misfire and I thought it would’ve died that is why I turned it off before hand. Sound pretty much like the cps though? Thanks again for the help!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,344 Posts
And note that quite often, a "Bosch" part purchased on eBay or Amazon is not genuine. There is a proliferation of fake auto parts in the market. I'd buy from a reputable store, such as AutohausAZ, RMEuropean, Pelican, FCP Euro, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all, so I didn’t get a p0335 code when I ran the code scanner just codes P0422 for main catalyst efficiency, p0171 & p0174 stating system too lean in bank 1 and 2 and lastly codes p0300,301,303 for misfires. I still went ahead and replaced the cps with a genuine bosch replacement just to be sure and the car started. It started and was running a bit rough and felt as if it was misfiring again then it warmed up and sounded good. Engine sounded like it was running fine so I took it for a drive and it was still shifting hard and shifting at higher rpms and would kind of sputter or miss at a certain rpm so I just parked it. It’s a step up from the car not starting at all but I just got this car and Im dying to just go drive! Any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,699 Posts
Good to hear it ran..
After fitting a new CPS it should be adapted to the fly wheel,,Engine at 70 degrees C ,,,in Park,,then by gradually increasing rpm up to 2500 and running at that speed for 30 seconds.,,then drive the car.
Also it is normal for the trans to shift at higher rpms for the first few shifts after starting cold.
Clear the codes and then run it again ,,and then check codes again..

Then shifting issues ,,you could try a reset ,,,or then a service which is highly advisable ,,,new filter ,gasket ,,fluid and pilot bushing for the electrical connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts