Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Need Help! What year SL600 should I buy and why????????.

8K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  SL BRABUS 
#1 ·
I know about the transmission issues on 1996 models and I want a five speed. I like the dash on the 1999 models, and unlike the SL500's, the motor stayed the same after 1999. So that leaves me deciding on a 1997 or later. I do not want to drop the ching on a problematic 2003 either. So that narrows it down between 1997 and 2002.
Question...Did the quality drop after a certain year? Are all SL600's sport model's? I have seen the SPORT emblem on the side of 1997 and 98 models, but not after that. Do they all come with the wood package on the steering wheel? Did they all have xenon headlights?
If anyone knows where there is a low milage, triple black SL500 or SL600 with the Panorama roof, Sport package and xenon headlights, or any other other good deal SL600 around, let me know. I have cash for just such a monster.
Thanks
Socalmat
mawinter@cox.net

#3 ·
I have a 1997 SL 600 Sport model with the rare R version. This car has about $30K in upgrades alone such as: Vortech Supercharger with intercooler, huge slotted Brembo brakes, Porsche 996 BBS 19" wheels, lowered, JRZ 14 position adjustable shocks and here's the best part....only 12K miles. This was a show car and made the circuit and was therefore quite pampered. This car has 600 hp at the flywheel and is faster than my Typhoon and C5 Corvette. The amount of torque this car puts out is amazing! I live in So Cal too and am planning on selling this dream car. My fiance has three kids and the car just won't help with transportation. I sold my Vette last week and will sell the Typhoon and SL soon. We need a bigger house and I have to sell my toys. Trust me, I'm not happy about it...my life is pretty much over at this point. Check out the pics on the gallery (Supercharged SL600). Let me know if you are interested.[:(]

#4 ·
Well thanks for the reply.

Right now I am looking at a 1999 sl600 with 22,000 miles for $33,000, or a 1998 with 41,000 miles for the same price. The 1998 has the Panorama top and a Sport package, two options that together are rare and that I would like to have.

Typhoontaz, your car is beeeeutiful, but I prefer stock.

Is anyone familiar with the Silver Arrow Edition? Would that be a collector someday?

#5 ·
Supercharged SL600

typhoontaz said:
I have a 1997 SL 600 Sport model with the rare R version. This car has about $30K in upgrades alone such as: Vortech Supercharger with intercooler, huge slotted Brembo brakes, Porsche 996 BBS 19" wheels, lowered, JRZ 14 position adjustable shocks and here's the best part....only 12K miles. This was a show car and made the circuit and was therefore quite pampered. This car has 600 hp at the flywheel and is faster than my Typhoon and C5 Corvette. The amount of torque this car puts out is amazing! I live in So Cal too and am planning on selling this dream car. My fiance has three kids and the car just won't help with transportation. I sold my Vette last week and will sell the Typhoon and SL soon. We need a bigger house and I have to sell my toys. Trust me, I'm not happy about it...my life is pretty much over at this point. Check out the pics on the gallery (Supercharged SL600). Let me know if you are interested.[:(]
This is an old post I found. As another member mentioned, he has probably sold it by now, but if you can contact him he may have some information. Check out the gallery also.

#7 · (Edited)
Socalmat said:
If anyone knows where there is a low milage, triple black SL500 or SL600 with the Panorama roof, Sport package and xenon headlights, or any other other good deal SL600 around, let me know.
Take a look at these 97-02 with less than 35K miles eBay - Autos, Used Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Trucks, Parts, Accessories, RVs and Other Vehicles - buy and sell on eBay Motors items for sale.

Especially eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : SL-Class (item 280106254727 end time May-09-07 13:39:58 PDT)

#8 ·
Im pretty sure that the sl600 came with the sport emblem if its spots pckg but after 99 i think all were made with the LS1 and LS2 pckg that came standered on the 99+.

#9 ·
typhoontaz said:
I have a 1997 SL 600 Sport model. This car has about $30K in upgrades alone such as: Vortech Supercharger with intercooler, huge slotted Brembo brakes, Porsche 996 BBS 19" wheels, lowered, JRZ 14 position adjustable shocks and here's the best part....only 12K miles. This car has 600 hp at the flywheel. I live in SoCal and am planning on selling this dream car.[:(]
What is your asking price for this car? http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/12733/ppuser/21944

#10 ·
Right now, the car is apart. I removed the supercharger to have it rebuilt and upgraded. I have not had a chance to put it back together yet. If you want to complete it, I'll let it go for $30K, otherwise, once it is back together again I will expect $35K. I have been so busy, I have no time to work on it.

#12 ·
msbarsi said:
typhoontaz I just love your car but ... where are you located and do you have any pics of the interior ? (sorry I had not a chance to check if you already said your location)

Cheers.
As I remember.... I think he located USA, Ca. Los Angeles........:)

#15 ·
SL BRABUS said:
Get an 2002 SL 600 or 500 Silver Arrow..... you can't go wrong with it.......:)
Not according to Ken Rockwell :D

I've just got round to reading his website and he bemoans anything that is not a 1997 SL500.

He states that there is hardly any difference in performance between a 500 and 600, and 600's are not worth the extra weight and gain in fuel consumption for the small performance increment.

I also not that he rubbishes the three valve per cylinder engines and states that cars built from '98 until '02 were built down to a price. He is lauding the "new" 4 valves per cylinder engine which will probably be fitted to the SL500, as a return to sanity by Mercedes.

He also seems to have a very big thing against Toyota Lexus :D

#17 ·
Honestly I beg to differ from Ken Rockwell about the 3 valves engines (I have one) and reading through the forum he has not gained a lot of credit on certain things.
3 Valves engine is perfect for me for its readiness and torque and even if it's slightly lower bhps (224 against 231 bhps euro version) I think the more torque the 3 valver has mid range is more useful in everyday life.
Maybe he is right about the little increase in performances between the 500 and the 600 but in my opinion the opulence and the torque of the 12 cylinders is a plus you can be very happy to pay with a bigger fuel consumation.
If I were to choose I'd go for the 600 but in Europe they are scarce in numbers, almost always very old and with tons of miles.
In America it's a whole different story.

Cheers.

#21 ·
Not to disrespect any of you that has one but I don't like 4 speed shifter.
The more cogs the better in my opinion and trust me if it were possible to have the 7-gtronic I'd look into it to have it in my car ehehe.

Cheers.

#22 ·
RedLiner said:
Not according to Ken Rockwell :D

I've just got round to reading his website and he bemoans anything that is not a 1997 SL500.

He states that there is hardly any difference in performance between a 500 and 600, and 600's are not worth the extra weight and gain in fuel consumption for the small performance increment.

I also not that he rubbishes the three valve per cylinder engines and states that cars built from '98 until '02 were built down to a price. He is lauding the "new" 4 valves per cylinder engine which will probably be fitted to the SL500, as a return to sanity by Mercedes.

He also seems to have a very big thing against Toyota Lexus :D
Ken Rockwell is a joke.....:yelrotflmao: .... I guess anything Ken Rockwell own is good & what we own is suck.......:crybaby2:

#23 ·
edutain1 said:
Rockwell simply lies about things such as "you could drag the car out of a lake by the door handle" and "the grill is made from jet engine parts" etc. After I found out these "facts" were total rubbish he lost all cedibility with me.....
Oh, man.... I have to laugh about the grille is made from jet engine parts........:yelrotflmao: this is what Rockwell say.......:read: "The front grill slats are made from spare titanium Daimler-Chrysler Aerospace fighter jet engine blades. These are from the Eurofighter first flown in 1994 at Daimler-Benz' facility in Manching. The titanium blades are perfectly aerodynamic, are hollow and weigh less than painted plastic used on discount cars like Toyota's Lexus brand, and are stronger than steel for resistance to road grit at high speeds. Remember the SL500 is one of the world's fastest cars and at 150 MPH+ continuous cruising speeds in Europe abrasion from even the smallest grit, bugs and pebbles has the effect of sand-blasting lesser cars.

These blades individually sell for over $756.00 as replacement engine parts, but since EADS (the current name for D-B Aerospace, formerly DASA), gets them for free as blades falling just under the weight tolerance for fighter use it's your gain. This is another advantage to Mercedes: Toyota has no aircraft division! I've never needed to replace one, but as replacement parts they are cheap since again these are leftovers that can't be used for fighter jet repairs, and they are also cut a little shorter so D-B has no fear of tempting air forces to buy the cheaper grille replacement parts. If you have a pal in an air force who can get the aviation slats think twice: twelve of them are costing his government over $9,000 and you'd still need to machine the titanium to the correct lengths."

G
#25 ·
Buy at least a 1997. That is when everything became standard, including rain sensing wipers.

If you buy a 99+, you get the fiber optic system, which will allow you to convert your car over to integrated bluetooth as well. Of course you also get the facelift mirrors, and tail lights in the whole package.

#26 ·
Well, OK about that "Slat Thing", but yes definately get the model;s which have the fiber optics systems, because I'm ready for an upgrade to blue tooth. Although it is still functional, my Timeport is becoming obsolete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.