Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ML55///amg
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MYo1 55amg that has 43K miles and is due for its last free B service. The service adviser said to make a list of what I would like them to check out. Any help out there to compile a lenghthy list would be greatly appreciated (March would end my 4 year warranty and my appointment is Feb 7th)

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
When I took our 98ML in for the 4/80,000klm service, I went through the OEM warranty booklet and ML service booklet and noted anything that seemed out of place in the ML.

Too bad I did not know about BW, because I would have done the SEARCH for the warranty problems, etc. to find out about things like harmonic balancers, cracked cats, PS clamps, etc. I'd add these to the "list" to at least document that you requested the SA check these items for the record. Google search NTSB recalls and you might end up with a few more.

I've found MB service here in Vancouver BC, Canada to be pretty decent - I took the 98ML back 2 months ago with 6 years, 140,000 klms on it (very troublefree I might add) to ask about things I found on BW, and they checked a lot for FREE. I did replace the harmonic balancer, as it was just starting to have cracks in the rubber - but they charged me lowest price I found on these forums!

That's what helped convinced me to go out and get a 2005 ML350SE - good dealer service.

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
The best list I have seen on any of the forums is at m b w o r l d. It is a sticky, called "list of stuff to watch for on a 163". There are likely many items that could be addressed, if you know what to look for.

A few from the list that I would especially recommend for all pre-2002 MYs are:

1. Check transmission (get an electronic readout). Major improvements were made to the transmissions over the years and risk of early failure is higher on the pre-2002.

2. See if they will replace the shocks all the way around with the updated ones.

3. Squeaks and Rattles. This is the last time that you are going to get anyone to really spend any time on these.

4. If you are concerned about wind noise, the MB TSB says to replace door seal molding if customer complains about wind noise. These seals were updated.

5. Check the entire A/C system.

6. Replace any door locks that make even the smallest of sounds.

7. Replace the window switches.

8. As part of the B service, see if they will replace the MAF (if it has never been replaced, it will likely go out sooner rather than later).

9. Check your sunroof. If it shudders when opening, it means that the rails are warped. There is no adjustment. The only fix is replacement. Expensive if out of warranty and a common problem.

10. Make sure you have the updated fuel pump. Also, expensive to replace out of warranty.

And, finally, push hard to have all of these done now so that you still have 7,000 miles to make sure that there are no problems with the work that they do. If you experienced all of the above after the warranty, you are looking at about $8,000 in repairs for known problems.

·
Registered
ML55///amg
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jangr320:thank you, I'll make sure to put the problems on my "list" and search for the recalls. RickT: I'll definitely start my list with what you put down... Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 ML500,Sport; 2014 ML550; 2009 ACURA TSX
900 Posts
Remember, Dealer does not replace something that's not broken. And it's not a good idea to replace something that is not broken.

JM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts