Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SL, 2009 E320 Bluetec
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1985 380SL 78,000 miles

Car is running great but I am noticiing one thing. When I go over bumps like speed bumps or railroad tracks I get a "thunk" coming from the rear of the car somewhere. At first I attributed it to the top being down and some movement in there but I don't think that is it now.

My first thought is some sort of bushing at the top of the shock. However, I noticed in other threads that there are several rubber "bumpers and stops" in the rear suspension. I know you can't diagnose from your end but suggestions on things to check would be helpful. I'll be able to get it on a lift soon and will be able to inspect just about everything from the underside. At this point I have no problem with replacing most of the things that can cause this but would like a headstart from some of you experienced R 107 owners. If its shocks, what are your recommendations for replacement shocks and sources (comfort, not performance shocks). Thanks in advance

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,182 Posts
My first WAG would be the sway bar couplings... Check them first.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any more ideas

Thanks,

I'll check the sway bar coupling.

Any other suggestions out there. I can't seem to isolate the sound while driving so will have it up on the hoist in a few weeks. Any other suggestions out there?

·
Registered
1984 380sl
83 Posts
You mioght try the front subframe mounts. The noise may be metal to metal between the frame and subframe.

Good luck, Ben

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like its coming from rear not front

I'll check all the bushing out I can identify but it is clearly coming from the rear of the car and it sounds as if it is coming from up high rather than down low.

Thanks

·
Always Remembered RIP
'78 450SL
199 Posts
My WAG is the exhaust is hitting, probably on its bump stops, if still there, and could be caused by worn/loose/distended/weak hangers, allowing too much travel, so when it stops moving, either way, you get a clunk. I'd start there.

·
Registered
Previous: 1989 190E 2.6, 1997 E420, 1985 380SL, 1975 450SLC
747 Posts
Not sure if the OP ever resolved this, but my 85 380SL had a similar clunk that I was sure was coming from either the folded convertible top frame or the LR shock tower following my replacement of the car's four shocks. Wrong. I later noticed that the noise was somewhat attenuated when my arm was resting on the door, and I then discovered that the conical pin in the door latch was no longer making a tight fit to its mate on the car's body.

A couple of wraps of black electrical tape on that cone and my shock tower clunk was solved.

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
Take everything out of the trunk. It may be something loose (spare, jack, tire iron)

I had one customer complain that his brand new less then 1,000 mile Mercedes had a thunk in the trunk. Turned out to be his toolbox for computer repair.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,374 Posts
I had a thunk the other day. Looking under there I saw the flange on that side had been bent inwards 30 or 45 degrees by the place that rotated my tires. The sway bar link was catching on it. Easy fix with a pry bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts