Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to get to my blower motor but I can't get the mono wiper out of the way. Anyone know how to remove it? The 7 screws that hold it in place are off and the whole thing is loose, but I can't find enough clearance remove it. WTF?

Thanks !

^^That's the piece that I'm trying to pull out- wiper arm assembly+motor^^

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
I had to remove mine to paint it recently. I couldn't get the damn thing all the way out either! I ended up taping it off and painting it with it pulled out a little. I hope you get a good answer so I can have one too!

If I had messed with it I could have gotten it out but I was afraid of damaging the windshield since the wiper bars are so close to the edge of the glass.

Why are you removing it?

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a pain in the ass I've been at it since yesterday.

I got a new blower motor and I'm trying to replace it. The blower motor box is behind the wiper blade assembly.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,117 Posts
I had to remove the motor to get the assembly out. You already have the 3 motor screws out now you have to remove the nut (right of center in your picture) holding the linkage on to the motor and remove the linkage from the motor.
Mike

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mike- I was told you can remove the entire piece, but I kind of gave up on that. I was trying to do what you mentioned and I just can't believe I can't get the nut loose. When I apply force, the nut spins with the bolt the of motor, and I can't grip it in such a way as to allow the nut to come loose from the bolt. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

I didn't want to touch that nut because I wanted to avoid misalignment problems, but I don't see another option.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.3 SOLD, 91 420SEL, 95 C280
488 Posts
Here are the instructions from the repair manual CD, I used this and it was a fairly easy job. it appears to me that you removed the wrong bolts from the wiper assembly, look at the arrows in the PDF I posted. As I remember it the nuts I removed were not the visible ones in your picture.

Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
It's 3 bolts(nuts) , I think 10mm, on the outer points. Not next to the wiper motor.
The whole assembly come out, and 1 electrical connector finishes it.
Goes back in, just the opposite

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
i usually remove the center firewall bolts and have the firewall tilted forwward a bit to give it a bit more room to move

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
^seems that would help, but I don't recall doing that myself.
(then again, I might have had a brain fart and forgotten)

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It's 3 bolts(nuts) , I think 10mm, on the outer points. Not next to the wiper motor.
The whole assembly come out, and 1 electrical connector finishes it.
Goes back in, just the opposite
This sounds repetitive, but If you look at the picture in my post, those 3 10mm bolts are off. You also have 3 more 10mm bolts to the left of that (not visible in the picture), which I also removed. There's nothing holding that entire assembly in place now, except for an electrical wire that supplies power. The whole thing is loose, I just can't get clearance.

Here's the entire assembly I'm trying to remove

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
there is a vibration dampner that keeps it in place up front attached to the firewall. remove the four 8mm bolts holdin the firewall and pull it forward for clearance. i would also remove the 13mm nut holding the transmission linkage to the wiper and slide the motor out of the way.

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jippi- I'll try your firewall suggestion, didn't know it was bolted on. I can't get loose the bolt holding the linkage to the motor. Believe me I've tried, when I apply force the motor spins.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
Thanks Jippi- I'll try your firewall suggestion, didn't know it was bolted on. I can't get loose the bolt holding the linkage to the motor. Believe me I've tried, when I apply force the motor spins.
grip the linkage to the wiper assembly or use a wrench or pilers to hold the linkage near the motor

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
grip the linkage to the wiper assembly or use a wrench or pilers to hold the linkage near the motor
Don't have too. I removed the 4 screws, and opened up the firewall as you suggested. Gave me a few more inches of clearance and that did it! AHHHH! Thank you Jippi and everyone else for your suggestions. Forgot how nice a blower motor sounds without a high pitch squeaking!

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Don't ya miss the squeal to the same pitch as the song on the radio?

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Don't ya miss the squeal to the same pitch as the song on the radio?
Not really :D. I think I can get used to the absence of squeal.

I don't know if any of you have ever done this repair, but when I opened up the box that holds the blower motor, there was a film of red dust everywhere. Each of the squirrel fans is covered in that red dust too.

I noticed that the blower motor box had a gasket, which crumbled as soon as I opened it. Water can seep in there so easily if that gasket is cracked. I bet all that red shit is rust. I wish I had a replacement gasket, but fuck it. I'll probably be only a matter of time before my new fan fills up with rust and ceases like the old one.

I hope I haven't been inhaling that shit for the 2+ years I've owned this car.

Anybody wanna buy a RUSTY POS?

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
i didnt need a write up i just started taking stuff out until it came out... if it was in the way, it came out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Undo the bolts and connector, pull forward to be free of the fixing bolts, slide the whole assembly, from motor end towards the middle of the vehicle and it should come out. Just take your time and it will be ok.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts