Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Slk230
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering putting an amplifier in the trunk right behind the gas tank. I took the carpet cover off and saw what appears to be a reinforced piece of steel right behind the gas tank (raised area of the 'hump"). Does anyone know if it's safe to secure an amp with 4 screws on top of this area? Does the gas tank extend directly underneath that piece of steel?

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Slk230
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried but the amp is too damn big....

I completely relocated the electronics in the footwell area and removed the Bose sub but my Aura amp just won't fit. I can't fit it direcly behind the seats either because of the subs. The only other place is in the middle right above the console but the sucker sticks out like a sore thumb - just doesn't look good. So I am left with the trunk.

C'mon Linh - ya gotta know what is underneath that metal "hump"! Tell me!!!

·
Registered
98 Slk230
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So that means I can put some short screws into ...

the plate to secure the amp right? Consider the rear differential is low on the car, why is the hump so high up?

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's not so much the placement that's the problem, it's the fastening solution, i.e. screws. Have you considered mounting an opaque 1/4" thick plexi or Starboard plate to the location you want to place the amp and attaching that via expoxy? You could then mount your amp to the plate via short screws.

I saw that same type of setup in an older Jaguar XJS which has the gas tank in the same place as an SLK does. He used a clear plexi peice as the mount and had LED's shining into it, making the plate itself look lighted. Very cool effect.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look back there yet, but along the same line as sportcenter's comment, think about some double sided foam tape. 3M makes some commercial quality tape THAT WILL NOT FAIL in that kind of an installation. When you want to remove the plate it can be cut away and cleaned up easy enough and leave no marks or holes.

·
Registered
98 Slk230
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great suggestions guys. I think that's what I am gonna

do. I like the idea of having the led light up the plexiglass. That's pretty cool though I don't know how to do it just yet (novice here) but I'll figure it out. When I took another look at that metal plate yesterday, I noticed that the black material sitting on top of it appears to be some kind of rubber (I think) probably for sound deadnening but regardless if I go with 3M tape or epoxy, I am gonna have to cut this rubber and the carpet to make it work.

Too bad cause I was really hoping I wouldn't have to cut the carpet cover.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Btw Loi, in the Jag i described, the owner did not have his plexiglass plate permanently mounted to the wall. The plate itself was slightly triangular in shape (with the thicker base pointed toward the floor, the thin edge toward the roof) and @ 24" long by 18" wide. The amp was mounted vertically in relation to the vehicle, though you could mount it horizontally even easier. He had a single Velcro sheet, just the hook side, which covered one whole side of the plate where it attached to the carpeting. The backing of the velcro sheet was jet black and when the plexi was lighted, it reflected so well you would have thought it was a mirrored surface. Poking around on the net I see that there low-profile types of velcro with holding strenths of almost 22 lbs. per square inch. With 432 square inches of plate, I bet he never had to worry about that unit moving around or detaching on him either despite the vertical mounting.

Very intelligent setup I thought at the time. Looked outstanding and he could move or re-move his amp on a whim. What lighted the plexiglass was actually a blacklight placed close by not LED's as I described earlier. The plexi he was using was obviously Ultraviolet reactive and glowed a bright blue. Very, very cool effect overall.

·
Registered
98 Slk230
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the velcro's hook side was attached directly

to the carpet? That strength of the velcro you speak of is very impressive. I am gonna have to get some of that for this and other projects.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes, just a sheet of the hook side of the velcro was used. It was cut to the size of the plate, and since it was black in color, it just blended in perfect with his black carpeting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts