Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I just replaced the coolant on a 02 c240 with the coolant from the dealer. After replacing the coolant the motor starting smoking a little. I turned the heat full blast and notice the heater only works on full blast on 80. Any other setting the heat doesn't work and I get cool air. The smoke seemed to stop, but the motor is very hot. But the car temperature gauge is around 85-90. The car took about 2 gallons of coolant Can anyone help me why the heat only works full blast, i would really appreciate it thank you so much.- jster

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Maybe the engine thermostat is stuck closed?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Would there be smoke if it is stuck close? Its so weird the heat works no problem on 80 degrees but any other temperature its just cool air, I never had a problem until i flushed the radiator. Thanks.- jster

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,890 Posts
Where are you located? If its warm/hot where you live, heater will not come on unless temp is set at max (80) or defrost because of climate control. As far as high engine temperature/smoking, could be air in system or sticking thermostat or even normal if you're parked and revving the engine trying to purge the air.

·
Registered
w203 c320 avantgarde auto saloon
277 Posts
How hot is hot?is it hot hot on full blast or hot warm?

How did u change coolant? Have u drained old and poured fresh in? Did u bleed it? All depends how quick were u pouring coolant if quick there is possibility that air is stuck somewhere. As matrix header is the highest point in cooling system it could air lock there.if heater is not giving u hot air in cabin as u want it will be air lock there. Also it could be t-stat as mentioned by other member.
What was the reason for coolant change?

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,890 Posts
If you set your temperature to MAX (80), the heat will be as hot as your coolant. Fan will also be at max (blasting). In defrost mode, temperature will be a bit lower as air conditioner will also be on (to lower humidity).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts