Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HUGE question. I called Advanced Auto Parts and they don't even know what this part is... I'm buying a 1990 300SE, and the frame has some rust-rot from being on the east coast. On the passenger side of the car, inside the wheel well, you follow the frame from the rear to the front. As it moves into the wheel well, it curves upward. Then, toward the top of the wheel well, it curves back to toward the front.

Right there in that... armpit (as I call it), there is a cylindrical object that bolts to the frame, but I've never seen anything like it. If I can figure out how to post a picture of it, I'll do just that.

That should work... Please help, I don't want to spend a grand on a car that isn't worth it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Isn't that a sub-frame bushing? On the front suspension, there is a REAR and a FRONT sub-frame bushing.

And by the looks of it, I would say....RUN FORREST, RUN!!!

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
wrong forum, a 90 300se is a w126

·
66,891 Posts
Yep that's a suspension bearing on a W126. If that area is rusted the front is fubar!

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
thats alotta rot under there. i usually power wash the under carriage after the winter..

·
66,891 Posts
That's actually structural, he will never be able to get the front alignment right and will very quickly wear out his tires to shred.

·
W245 Moderator
3,302 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts