Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone... Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated...I have a 1999 S320..W140... So yesturday I was driving on a highway and all of a sudden two orange lights appeared at the same time.. One is the windwasher fluid light and the other is the collant warning light... Also the temperature of the car stated to rise above 80... I wasn't far from home so I parked the car untill today and was trying to get some info about the problem.. I read the manual but it only talks about the Coolant light.. going on by its self.. and strangely the windwasher light goes on as well... So I went to the dealer today and bought some anti freeze so that I can maybe just add some.. After adding (i think 1 liter) The lights go on and off when I am driving and the temp still goes a little bid above 80 mark... Im not sure what the problem is.. however I am not sure how much antifreez am i suppose to have in the valve. Please someone help.. I am really nervous and hope its nothing serious..THANX

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
You car runs pretty cool.... my 500/600 always stay slightly under 100 for city drive....
under 80 when on freeway and when temp under 60degree F.

My low coolant light was on for my S500.... brought it to stealer and they said there is a slow leak plus the fan was malfunction..... they said they replace the fan.....and fixed the leak

i pick up my the other day and drove up hill.... the coolant light was on again after i pass one car.... and it stay on.... there is lots of liquid sound inside the dashboard....
luckily i am still able to drive the car to the stealer and they said there is no coolant and they said i need a new radiator.....

o well....
radiator replaced....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for sharing your story... I do not know what to do... The one thing that gets me very curious is that the coolant light does not just go on by its self.. It simintaniously goes on with the Windwasher fluid light... And also the Temp goes up to about 80+ and remains the same.. But the light goes on and off, on and off again... Its like damn wats wrong.. :(

·
Registered
1995 Sl320 Roadster
66 Posts
Have you checked the sensors yet? Check for radiator fluid leaks under the car near the water pump,bottom of the radiator,and near the back firewall driver's side rear of engine.There is a plastic T connector there that breaks sometimes leaking the coolant fluid.

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
SL3204me said:
Have you checked the sensors yet? Check for radiator fluid leaks under the car near the water pump,bottom of the radiator,and near the back firewall driver's side rear of engine.There is a plastic T connector there that breaks sometimes leaking the coolant fluid.

Defintaley check that T connector behind engine as it can be just bit cracked and leak water, there have been some horror stories posted on this site about that and as you know overheated 3.2L engine = almost 100% chances of doing the headgasket!!! BTW mix your coolant 50-50 that is the best ratio so if you added litre of water you need litre of coolant (if there is a room left) but make sure you use coolant as it also works as grease for water pump and without that.....another horror story on its own :)

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
miloking said:
Defintaley check that T connector behind engine as it can be just bit cracked and leak water, there have been some horror stories posted on this site about that and as you know overheated 3.2L engine = almost 100% chances of doing the headgasket!!! BTW mix your coolant 50-50 that is the best ratio so if you added litre of water you need litre of coolant (if there is a room left) but make sure you use coolant as it also works as grease for water pump and without that.....another horror story on its own :)
That and the coolant/anti freeze also has alot of anti corrosive stuff in it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
That and the coolant/anti freeze also has alot of anti corrosive stuff in it. :)
Hi Guys, I am new to this site however I have exactly the same problem on my 1998 S320. I have not used it for several months so the battery went flat. Upon charging it up and now driving it again, both the Radiator Coolant light and the Windscreen washer light came on together and remain on. I needed to add some washer fluid however the expansion tank is still full yet both lights are on constantly. The engine temp remains normal so I am not sure whether this could be due to allowing the battery to discharge?

Is there a reset function for these lights?

Thanks for any pointers in the right direction

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
Might be a good idea to look at the condition of the coolant and washer fluid. Remember, that coolant is routed through the washer reservoir to heat it up on cold days so it may be possible you had some kind of malfunction where the two systems come together. This is just a semi-educated guess on my part but its worth a look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob, I had no idea that these two systems are connected in this way, however I guess that they both have different sensors respectively (or could these also be linked?)

Either way, I will investigate as you suggested

Thank you

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob, I had no idea that these two systems are connected in this way, however I guess that they both have different sensors respectively (or could these also be linked?)

Either way, I will investigate as you suggested

Thank you
Might even be just some corrosion on the sensor from not being used for so long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cooland and Washer level warning lights

Might be I guess Bob, would you happen to know where the sensor/s are located? If I could get to them perhaps I could disconnect and reconnect them to see what happens

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would you happen to know where the sensors are connected? Perhaps I could disconnect and reconnect them to see what happens?

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport, 2011 E350 Avant Garde Cabriolet
1,933 Posts
W140's are very picky about the voltage coming out of the battery and charging system. If the car hasn't been driven for a while and the battery was dead I would have the battery checked. Low voltage can cause a whole bundle of problems from windows not functioning properly to ABS lights coming on. If the coolant level is okay that would be my start.

I also would replace the T fitting if it hasn't been done for a while. The failure can be catastrophic!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info - I am sure that the battery is still low as I have not had the chance to give the car a good run yet (although it has enough power to start the engine).

What is the "T" connector you mentioned and where would I find it located?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
the reset function is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and drive it on the high way for 10 minutes. if you have a coupe you will need to reprogram your windows. how lower your window press the switch down for 10 seconds. raise the window. and hold it up for 10 seconds. some time it requires 2 or 3 times to reset. ignition on and door open.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts