Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1990 300se and need to change the window regulator. how do i go about changing it out? ive already ordered a new one. is there anyone on here that can point me into the right direction? ive also taken the door panel off already.

thanks for help.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Are you talknig about the motor it self? Like your window doesn't go up/down? If I knew exactly what the problem was, I could prolly give you some pointers. Since I got 2 of my 3 non-working windows working again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TheRazz - 5/5/2005 8:56 PM

Are you talknig about the motor it self? Like your window doesn't go up/down? If I knew exactly what the problem was, I could prolly give you some pointers. Since I got 2 of my 3 non-working windows working again.
the motor is working its just that the regulator (the metal frame that connects to the actual window) is bent so it doesnt go up the way its suppose to.

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Funny you should ask that question. I just had the regulator replaced in my 1990 300SE. I to though I could do it, but after getting started it turned out to be very involved. After breaking several clips on the door panel (When ready to remove the door panel be sure to slide it up before puling out)i decided to take it to a mechanic. It cost me $450 total to have it repaired, but it was money well spent, epecially since my car is in excellent condition. The mechanic even said it was a very involved job for a novice. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Htown - 5/9/2005 10:11 AM

Funny you should ask that question. I just had the regulator replaced in my 1990 300SE. I to though I could do it, but after getting started it turned out to be very involved. After breaking several clips on the door panel (When ready to remove the door panel be sure to slide it up before puling out)i decided to take it to a mechanic. It cost me $450 total to have it repaired, but it was money well spent, epecially since my car is in excellent condition. The mechanic even said it was a very involved job for a novice. Good luck.
ive already taken out the door panels and such of the door. sorry to hear that you couldnt take on the task. although im not a novice when it does come to cars. im only a novice when it comes to a benz. all i need is a little nudge on the subject than i can pick the rest up quickly. thanks for the post though.

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Remove the 10mil nuts in the door pannel,there should be 4 or so. Before I forget lossen every nut you can see, this will enable you to see if it indeed needs to be removed,then wiggle the assembly. Then remove the slide jaw from railing on the window, window should be 1/2 open to alow for play.http://[ ]
you may have to 'close' or 'open' the regulator to alow it to fit through the opening.
* most often removing the regulator requires you to rotate it a few degrees back for it to come free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Classified - 5/9/2005 3:27 PM

Remove the 10mil nuts in the door pannel,there should be 4 or so. Before I forget lossen every nut you can see, this will enable you to see if it indeed needs to be removed,then wiggle the assembly. Then remove the slide jaw from railing on the window, window should be 1/2 open to alow for play.http://[ ]
you may have to 'close' or 'open' the regulator to alow it to fit through the opening.
* most often removing the regulator requires you to rotate it a few degrees back for it to come free.[/QUOTE]

i saw that you were gonna post a pic. it didnt show up, can you post it again? by the way thanks. if i need more help can i ask you for more answers?

ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Classified - 5/9/2005 3:52 PM

http://[http://performanceproducts.com/BitMapPage.aspx?bitmapid=172&bitmapname=Door+Hardware][/QUOTE]

hey classified i also have problems with the other windows in my car. if you can help me on this one also ill appreciate it.

on the rear windows there is something (what i think is called) is a slide jaw. hehttp://oe.1motormart.com/parts/motormart/wizard.jsp?year=1991&make=MB&model=300-SE-001&category=O&part=Window+Regulator+Kit

the link shows what im talking about. its what keeps the regulator arm on the slide rail. the ones on my windows are broken so the arm doesnt stay on the rail which makes my window to NOT go up or down. how is something like this installed?

I looked at my window and dont see how it would go on without getting a new regulator.

thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
15 Posts
Yeah, I bought some of these a while back and I can't figure out for the life of me how the heck they are installed. It's like do you press out the old ones and press in the new ones or drill and weld or what. Guess I got to break out the benz book on this to see what they say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1mountainbiker - 5/10/2005 5:38 AM

Yeah, I bought some of these a while back and I can't figure out for the life of me how the heck they are installed. It's like do you press out the old ones and press in the new ones or drill and weld or what. Guess I got to break out the benz book on this to see what they say.

what benz book do you have? is it a shop manual for our cars? because im also looking for a good detailed manual.

oh and if you find the answer on how to install be let me know.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just did it.
Man, you guys spent $450 on this labor? ahh, pay me $150 bucks and an hour or so, I'll do it.

First take off the door panel, just as any other car manufacture. In fact, I think W126 is among the easy panel to take off.
On my car (front doors), I have to take off the piece on the rear edge of the glass window in order to slit off the door panel. Of course some clips will be broken but no big deal.
There are bolts on the motor to the door itself, and another 2 bolts toward the rear (rear of the car) to hold the rail to the door. This rail I meant the rail for the regulator arm to slide on. You are done at this point. All you have to do is asking a friend to hold on the glass while you take the regulator out of the car.

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
To remove the old slide jaw you need a drill bit with about a 10 or 12 mil. diameter, drill to. [:p] I would also suggest a shop vise. Remove the actuator/ regulator. Secure it and drill into the center of the nub that is there, I think its made out of brass.it should fall out after you've gotten to the actuators arm. If your uncertain use a smaller drill bit first then go up in size as you find the one your confortable with. Performace has the replacement for less than $10. When replacing it you will need to support the rivet from below and use a ball-pean hammer or punch to expand the 'rivet'. Be careful not to damage the plastic , it breaks rather easily.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
15 Posts
Got a whole slew of "Scanned" in images (PDF) files on CD. They are from the original shop manuals. They are a bit difficult to navigate but once you find out what you are looking for they are at best, OK.

I will have to fire up the CD's and find out which cars are on them. I know the 380SE (1985, etc) are on there and the 300D. There are also a whole bunch of other models from those years listed that I just never looked at.

It's nice to be able to print them out and at least have an idea of what the heck I am doing. Like removing outside door handles. It's a trick to do it but it's not so bad. It does not go into detail if you can switch out the cylinders but for the coupe you can use a drift and take the lock cylinders out so I figure one of these days I will take a look to see if the drivers and passengers side cylinders can be drifted out and swapped.

If you want to, the manuals are like 25 bucks from http://www.manualsunlimited.com/catalog/

Hope this helps a few people out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts