Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have installed V551 and mikbox in my 2001 E320 wagon (W210). As my car initially didn't have PSE, compensator etc, I had to get these componenets and install them to get the phone working. Also, I didn't buy a dual band switch and hence I have to bypass Tele-Aid and connect phone antenna directly to the bumper antenna. I also added a VCM recently. As it is the first generation VCM, I can only control phone through this VCM. My car already had COMMAND installed and surprising I didn't need any version coding for phone or VCM to work. Only thing is I can't get phone info on the instrument cluster (which I was told will require version coding).

Ok. Now to the part where I need help from you experts out there. I would like to upgrade my VCM to support CD, radio, and Nav control. Is there a place where I can find the information and the part numbers of various generations of VCMs. Are there only two generations of VCMs out there? Before I spend any money on buying a new VCM, I want to make sure that I am buying the latest VCM that gives me all the new features (not just phone control). Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thx

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a phone/CD/Radio VCM available right now on Ebay. Since you already have a VCM installed, you do not need to get a Fiber cable or PTT so you can get this fairly cheap. I think I paid $45.00 for mine.

Here is the link;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7964432459&category=6763&sspagename=WDVW

If you don't get it, the part # for the all in one VCM is 203-820-08-85

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx. I have already put it on my "watch list". I checked with the seller and he mentioned that it is a second generation module. Is there a third generation module that is backward compatible to previous VCM interface? My understanding is the second generation can't be used to input navigation info.

Again, thx for the pointers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx. I have already put it on my "watch list". I checked with the seller and he mentioned that it is a second generation module. Is there a third generation module that is backward compatible to previous VCM interface? My understanding is the second generation can't be used to input navigation info.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,926 Posts
ketanbhat - 4/1/2005 1:01 PM

The ability to use the VCM to select stored navigation destinations and the like is limited to COMAND 2.0 and MOST bus. I doubt that VCMs designed for MOST bus can be retrofitted to a D2B-equipped car. If you have COMAND 2.5, the second-generation VCMs (for model year '01 and later) offer control of phone, radio, CD, and tape functions.

I have gotten my '01 retrofit to select the Nav screen by stating "Navigation." However, I can't select nav destinations. Selection of the nav screen is an undocumented feature; the command is not listed in the "help" menu.

The phone bulletins on Paul H. Di ck's website provide parts numbers (including brackets) for your car. http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/phone_bulletins.htm

·
Registered
163 Posts
About the "version coding":
From my experience, it is not necessary to have the car version coded, after additional D2B equipment (like the PSE) is installed. You won't have any functional advantages. Some cars in the 1999-2001 range need to have the instrument cluster enabled for their phone functions, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts