Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm in desperate need for a G-Class, but the thing is I live in Amman, Jordan and they are kinda rare here...I had a in mind a model between 86 and 90 (hopefully will find a 3 doors convertible)as I cant afford the newer models. I was able to find a 280GE LWB (pics attached), but it was an 84 4speed manual, and what i need to know is whether its underpowered or not, and whats its fuel consumption (fuel is extremely expensive in my country ), I really wish i could find a 280 SWB newer model instead....but I guess I have to keep-up the search.

Jooj

Attachments

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
interesting blinkers and cool (literally) tropic roof
looks like it is in beautiful condition

underpowered? depends on your point of view

fuel consumption? As thirsty as most 1984 4x4 (about 20 liters/100km)

Harald

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
Hi Jooj,

I have a LWB 280GE. Yes. They are slow. A cabrio with a manual will be a little better, but still slow. If you search this forum you will find many threads asking how to increase horsepower. The options are pretty limited. I also have a '91 300GE. Still not a speed demon, but it's not a dog either. Much more power than the 280.

As far as the gas mileage, I'm afraid that like the rest of us, you are out of luck. It's a very heavy truck, after all.

Of course, there are many benefits to owning a G which, for all of us on this board, outweigh those deficits.

— Spalding

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
Fuel consumption city / highway / total
With standard transmission
[l/100 km] 21,5 / 13,3/ 17,9
With automatic transmission
[l/100 km] -

Acceleration 0-100 km/h

Top track speed
[km/h] 155

If you aren't interested in luxury at all go for the 460.

·
Registered
280 GE / 1980
458 Posts
Hi Jooj ,

Harald hit it 100 % , it does exactly 100km per 20 liters .
( in this part of the world we measure consumption by “tanake� = 20 liters ) ;-)

The truck miss its original pointers it is a sign of the lack and high cost of spare parts for this truck in the region . Same like when I bought mine .
The body looks clean , but do check the drive train and diffs because you can not find those parts easily in our region .

Do not expect much speed and especially if you leave in an area in the mountains , making it uphill is a pain as you will be passed by allot of vehicles ;-)

Your request for a 90 model is almost un available .

I think the case in Lebanon will be applied in Jordan too .
I have asked the Benz Dealer in Lebanon for a mid 90’s 320 GE and their answer was it is NA .
And unfortunately I can not import any truck less then 1997 to Lebanon so it is hard to find one and even when found it will be expensive , because the owner will be much aware of what vehicle he has and who is targeting his G .

For info , do you have an idea about the asking price of that truck ?

ReG ,

Shebl .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot for your replies...I found another G, Its 500GE 1990 model LWB, excellent condition, fully equipped..I want to know if the fuel consumption is as the 1984 280 GE....if its similar, ill go for the 500 (more power baby)...but I'll face the problem of customs here in Jordan....the car is for sale for 15,000USD duty free....and the customs reaches 30,000USD wich makes it a total of 45Gs...way over my budget [:(] ...but there might be a new law in may for reducing the the costums...so it all depends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Shebel,
Thanks for your reply. At last, someone who knows exactly what I mean when I say Un Available....But luckily I found the 1990 model...but waiting for a change in the customes and taxes in May....the asking price for the 84 is 11,000 USD, I think its overpriced for 21 years old car....im still bargaining..and guess what....the dealer told me that he wants to take to lebanon and place new interior, new exterior parts(a 95 body kit, have no clue if it exists)...and might change the engine...and ask for 20,000 instead...are mechanics that good in Lebanon...especially with such a unique car?

·
Registered
280 GE / 1980
458 Posts
Jooj ,

Did you say 500 GE ????????????????? this is a rare beast the first V8 Engine mounted on the G The engine was taken from the 500 SE .

In terms of Consumption I think it will do the same like the 280 GE or maybe even less 80km per 20 liters . But it is worth the difference of power ,and off course you get the comfort of the 463 ,I wish I can put my hands on it [:p]

Regarding the 280 GE it is overpriced but like I mentioned before the seller knows exactly who’s targeting this vehicle and knows that it can Not be imported any longer and given the number of G we have in the region is limited don’t expect the price to drop like other trucks ..

I got many offers on my own for 8,000 $ but I wouldn’t sell it , in fact I am looking for a 463 for my wife ( 320GE ) .

The parts exist with people who import wrecked cars and their asking price is high , anyways if you get any information about where he is going to do the conversion let me know .
Mechanics are good in Lebanon and especially when it comes to body work and paint they can do excellent work .

The forum is the best place to learn about the G there is a lot of experienced people who share us their experience and for more information about the G check out those sites they are very helpful .

www.g4rce.net
www.4x4abc.com

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
I don't believe there was a 500 GE in 1990. It only came on the market for 1 year and that was 1993. I found the following on the net : "Recognizing that the G-wagen was being considered by some folks who cared more about power, luxury and foul-weather capability than all-out trail-busting ability, Mercedes brought out the limited-production, V8-powered 500 GE for 1993. As it was geared toward that aforementioned clientele, the 500 GE "only" had the center and rear differential locks, as the front one was typically employed only in the most severe off-road conditions."

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Models and Year Designations

Gert - 4/19/2005 7:50 AM

I don't believe there was a 500 GE in 1990. It only came on the market for 1 year and that was 1993.
I think that many people decide the year model of the G based on convenience and/or necessity - often to circumvent importation rules and/or tax laws.

It happens in the US a lot. There are many G's dating from the middle 1980's which have been labeled as 1978 or 1979 year models so as to take advantage of the 25 year importation rule. I'd bet that it's done elsewhere, too.

·
Registered
280 GE / 1980
458 Posts
Gert , you are right , the following paragraph is taken from the site recommended by Dutch http://www.graz.daimlerchrysler.com/20yg/e/rueckblick.htm, which supposed to be an official site .

“In the product-line 461 a chassis with cab with 3.40 wheelbase is taken into the programme. The special model 500 GE (V8 engine with a performance of 241 HP) is presented in a limited number of 500 vehicles.�

But like Dutch told you it could be possible that the manufacturing date has been back dated especially if the custom duty is as high as Jooj mentioned .

Jooj can you get the VIN number of that 500 GE , I am sure many here can help in providing the info of this truck .
ReG ,
Shebl .

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
A 1993 500 GE for 15.000 USD is a lot of car for the money even if it is registered as a 1990. If Jooj can avoid the 30.000 USD import tax he shouldn't be looking any further if the car is in good condition. If not he will be spending an easy extra 15.000 USD to get it right.

·
Registered
280 GE / 1980
458 Posts
Gert - 4/19/2005 4:13 PM

A 1993 500 GE for 15.000 USD is a lot of car for the money even if it is registered as a 1990. If Jooj can avoid the 30.000 USD import tax he shouldn't be looking any further if the car is in good condition. If not he will be spending an easy extra 15.000 USD to get it right.
That's why I said earlier if I can get my hands on it[}:)].

ReG ,

Shebl .

·
Registered
300GD 500SL 300E
232 Posts
If you are worried about fuel consumption why do you not consider a 300GD?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for taking a long time to reply...I contacted the 500GE seller yesterday in order to ask him if it was really a 500 GE...that was his answer "my car used to be a 300GE but in Dubai they change it to 560GE", So im guessing its not a 500GE but a modified 300GE....guys, really im not a G expert or even a merc expert...I always been obsessed with the looks of the G, but never got to know better until a week ago.....Getting my hands on a 300 GD, that would be a miracle in this country...the law forbids diesel cars, only diesel pick-ups or closed vans, there are 2 diesel Gs here, 4 doors LWB (vans) but its impossible for the owners to sell (diesel is really cheap here in jordan when compared to petrol)…..guys….really thanks for the help….im gonna keep my search going till I find one, and will consider the 90 model depending on the new custom laws in may

1 - 16 of 16 Posts