Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys........... I came across a 1992 400 E with RennTech exhaust at my local Pic A Part yard. I would like to remove at least the muffler/tailpipe to install onto my 1994 E420....... Can Anyone offer advise on approximately where to cut the pipe AND what type of hand saw will i need to cut pipe?? I do have clear access to the hangers/mounts but i dont know what to use for cut Or where to make my "chop" Any Advice/Help/Suggestions is Greatly Appreciated.... Thanks ; In advance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chance

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
cut more then less..;-) Once you get underthere you'll see if the car still has a resonator or not.. I'd get as close to that as you can.

Nice find BTW.

anything else of note on this car?

Jonathan

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS Jonathan;
So do i Not want the resonator ?? And any idea of What to cut with??
When i first got to car ;someone had beat me to the LH module already ( But i already have one :) ) Passenger front seat and rear seats are in black leather =Great shape...other than that the hack scavengers have already got to the engine.... Do you need anything in particular as i get by there at least twice a week trying to be first on the new arrivals...... Thanks Again

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Np Dude:)

I have a beast Lion 36V sawzall that cuts bloody Anything.. but I bet Chinese/Harbor Freight also likley has something you can sneak in.. just get Real blades, their blades are total trash.

Wasn't so much looking, but w/ a RT muffler maybe the guy put springs/shocks on it..maybe some Bilstein sports..ya never know...;-)

One thing to look for on the early M119's would be the alloy oiler bridges..if you look through the oil filler cap and they aren't plastic, it's worth popping the VC'er to grab those tubers... :)

Best of luck with it..worst case even w/ a hack saw that muffler is worth the time!!!

jono

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Depends if you have power access or not; if you do, use a Sawsall. If not, consider renting a plumbing pipe cutter that does the full circle cut in 90 degrees (would have four cutter wheels). If the pipes are too close for that, then you're stuck with the Sawsall, which will do fine. Lots of hacksaw type tools out there...but I'd sure as hell make the effort of that a lot easier by one of the two methods above.:thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
That looks like a 360 degree cutter to me, unless I'm missing something. When space is a premium, you use a 90 degree cutter.

Kevin

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YEAH,,,,,,, I GOT IT !!

,,,,, I got it ; using a Home Depot/Husky hacksaw that i already had. I cut from the end of the stock Mercedes resonator to the end. Will post pix later tonight- THANKS To All who offered Advise.......Chance

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
renn tech muffler Pix

THANKS Everyone...Just following up with pics of my Pic A Part "Find"
Next i plan to go and get the 'metal' cam oil tubes off that early 1992 400E m119 engine....... Thanks Again Forum

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts