Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to the group. My wife and I just picked up a '98 SLK230K with the integrated phone. But I'm having trouble getting it activated. The Verizon service here in Sacramento, Ca needs to know the type of phone based on the ESN or DEC numbers. Anyone know where I can find these numbers?

From what I've read, it sounds like each year there was a different type of phone. The previous owner of my car used verizon. Can I switch to a different provider, like Cingular?

Thanks for any help,
Tony

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Just take it in to the Verizon place...they can program it very easy.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Those numbers are usually underneath the battery compartment of the phone, but I would agree, just take the phone in to them and let them do it.

It does have to be the Mercedes-Benz phone though unless you add something like the MikBox (http://www.mikbox.com/).

·
Registered
98 SLK230k/02 SLK32
742 Posts
I have the OEM integrated phone, it is an analog phone,

only Verizon locally would even give me service, and NOT much off a deal, about $ 20 a month, 30 free minutes. I do not use the phone a lot, so I just wanted min service. For the same price on the wife's portable digital phone, she got 50 reg minutes, free nights, and free week-ends.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
kramynot2000 - 4/18/2005 7:36 PM

Can I switch to a different provider, like Cingular?

Thanks for any help,
Tony
Yes, you can take it to other providers if they have an 800Mhz CDMA system. I am pretty sure that the integrated phones were the old CDMA 800Mhz type.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Not sure that there are any other carriers in the US that use CDMA (unless they are leasing cell space from Verizon).

Last time I had to reprogram a phone was when AT&T was still around. It is a pretty easy, straight forward process. Took maybe 5 minutes with them walking me through it.

If you only need your phone for emergency purposes remember that even without activation you can call 911 on a cell phone or use the integrates SOS or service call on your MB.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, this is discouraging so if anyone has any other advice, I'd appreciate hearing it.

I called the local Verizon place and the 10yr old salesperson who answered the phone said they don't know how to activate an analog phone.

Also, I called MB Technical Support to see about getting the ESN number so I could call Verizon HQ about this and the person on the phone said that my car didn't come with the phone that is in it. I told him that I had the manual and also the quick tips guide that actually showed my phone, but he insisted it couldn't be. The phone I have is actually wired into the car and doesn't come out. The quick tips guide states that the car came with either my phone or the portable one.

Anyway, any help in getting this activated would be appreciated. Its not a big deal, its just that since its in the car I'd like to get it working.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
430 - 4/19/2005 8:05 AM

Not sure that there are any other carriers in the US that use CDMA (unless they are leasing cell space from Verizon).
I know for a fact that Alltel and US Cellular are at least 2 that still have CDMA systems

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
I bought my 320 in Aug '04. I was told by MB tech service (phone call)I could not find a carrier for that phone because it was outdated, I needed to get a new phone.

In Feb '05 I tired the car phone, it told me I was not a recognized user and to call 411 to get Cingular about my service. I called Cingular the service person said "I bet you have a Mercedes". It is a common call for them. She told me to go to a local Cingular service location and thay can activate the phone for me. At the location I go to to pay my regular cell bill, the service person said they can't do it. We argued, she then got a manager who said yes we can do. Ten minutes later the phone was active.

Cingular will not do a contract for this service, but will do it as a pre-pay. Buy $20 of air time and it last 90 days and the blanance will roll over if you buy another $20 before the the end of 90 days. So it will cost me $80 year for the service. Cost is $0.30 per min 7am-9pm then drops to $0.10 at night and weekends. No roaming or long distance fees anytime. So I have it as a back-up and emg use.

·
Registered
98 SLK 230 E300 TD;
15 Posts
[:)]In checking the original brochure for the 98 SLK 230 it indicates that under optional equipment there was an "integrated mobile cellular telephone or docking portable cellular telephone (dealer installed)." Perhaps you could take the vehicle back to the dealer who installed the system to solve the problem. Finding the right dealer who is interested in working with you to solve the problem is the key to a great long term relationship...but you must be willing to drop some bucks for the service plus a good tip to the service writer...goes a long way.
Good Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts