Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the update.
car ran good for a week after cleaning the maf and changing plugs. went with these plugs called g3. car starting acting up again.
ordered a new maf. installed and the car still runs the same and when i rev up the rpm's i can smell gas coming from the exhaust.
do you think its a bad maf? or did i foul the plugs while driving 2 weeks with a bad maf. are these g3 plugs crap? or could it be a fuel filter, cat converter, oxygen sensor, or coil?
when i start the car its fine but when i drive for a few minutes it starts sputtering and the idle is rough. i can turn the car off then back on and it runs fine for a minute. sometimes when the car is warm and i restart it feels like its running fine until i come to a stop.
when the sputtering starts and i put the car in neutral and gas the rpm's it rely hesitates bad. turn the car off and restart it and the rpm's run smooth until i start driving.

HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
code 304 ( cylinder 4 misfire)

before i changed the plugs last time i had a 302( 2 misfire) i changed the coils and get a 4 misfire now. should i assume its a coil?

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
>>i changed the coils and get a 4 misfire now. <<

You probably want to be more clear about this so that people can better help you diagnose. Do you mean you put 2 new coils (or used) in place of the old one(s) or did you just keep the two coils and swap them around? If it is the latter, then the bad coil theory sounds promising.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i used the same coils that were on there and switched there positions. i also noticed on the #2 plug the first time i changed the plugs a carbon line going down the plug. when i pulled the plugs yesterday and changed them to bosch plugs i had that same carbon arc going down plug #4. this is where i had switched the what i think is a bad coil from position 2 to 4. i read somewhere it is probably the spark plug boot that is bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
put on anew coil and boot. no more cel and seems to be running a 100 times better. i was so happy i went and put on a new set of 225/40-18's......
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts