Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1983 280se Euro
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays,

I am new to the forum and just purchased my a 1983 280sel and of course it was not as advertized. Here are my issues:

1. No heat- replaced Monovalve. Cold air only from center vents.
2. Transmission is making a grinding noise.
3. Steering is loose. I have read about the hex/allen nut but cannot find it on the 280sel. Is it on the top or botton of the box. Pics would be great.
4. Idles high 1300.
5. Cannot lock or unlock drivers door from the out side. However, if i sit in the car I can lock it. I don't have power or vacuum locks.
6. Aux fan does not come on. It does work but it will only come on if I run it straight from the battery.

I am very upside down in this car but won't give up. Any help from you experts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anderson

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Center vents are for A/C so they only give cold air. Close them.
Change trans filter and fluid
adjustment is on top
If it still has the slide valve you have to wait for it to warm up
All W126's have vacuum locks - the pump is in the trunk, key or cylinder is bad, low possibility is a connecting rod
Aux fan comes on when a/c or radiator is hot - not often in this weather.

·
Registered
1983 280se Euro
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

So does the heat only come from the floor and defrost?

I see a hex nut on the top with a allen hole in it but I read that they should turn independently; mine is one bolt. Should I just use the allen and turn it counterclock wise?

Will the heat only come on with the aux fan on? I am not getting any air at my feet; is that were the heat should come from?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1983 280se Euro
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I turn the air on the aux fan will not come on.

I just checked and I don't have any vac lines to my doors.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,750 Posts
Thats odd, they all have power locks or so i thought. Have a look for the vacuum pump. Should be in a corner of the spare tyre well mounted in a kind of rubber thing.
When does the trans make grinding noises?
Climate-wise, warm air will only come from the foot area and defrost. Also the very small vents meant for the front side windows. Is it your climate fan that isnt working? If so its pretty common, have a look through the search archives. The climate control has a few potential faults. Hopefully its somethin nice and easy :)

·
Registered
1984 280SE, 2009 SL550
497 Posts
Idle adjust

Search the W123 forum for the M110 idle adjustment screw. It's easy to find once you know where to look.

·
Registered
1983 280se Euro
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know if the sunroof on the 83 should pop up or is it designed to only slide back and forth?

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Do you know if the sunroof on the 83 should pop up or is it designed to only slide back and forth?
I believe only slide back and forth..which is a good thing because many guys have probs with the later ones that pop-up, especially if you open it on almost every drive like I do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts