Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im interested in buying a 2nd car to restore and have fun with and i stumbled upon this ad for a 91' 190e AMG for sale. But there are some things that dont make sense to me in the ad and i dont think the seller knows much about the car. the add says its a 91' mercedes 190e AMG 3.2L 4cylinder Engine w/ Gated shifter box/ slap shifter, K&N air filter, 224WHP stock. I find it hard to believe its 1) an AMG:confused:. 2) its a 4 cylinder? and if it is 4cyl is it a 3.2L? and 3) 224WHP Stock? maybe its 224HP to the crank? im hoping someone here can take a look at the pic in the add and lmk if its it looks like whats being advertised. also if it is indeed possibly a 3.2L AMG motor in this bad boy, will i even be able to find parts for it? Please Help! not trying to waste my time going to look at it and find that the add is false. hoping i can clear a few things up here atleast since i know nothing about older Merc models. Thanks in advance for all who comment

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
That doesn't really look like an AMG to me. Do you know the VIN number?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't really look like an AMG to me. Do you know the VIN number?
no dont know the vin number i should have asked when i talked to the guy. i researched for hours trying to find any info i can get based on what he has in the ad and found nothing. well, nothing useful anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Post a link to the ad and your location.
all the details in the add i posted in post #1. not trying to give out the add link so someone can beat me to buying it lloll. Thats just in case its a rare AMG thats worth restoring. i called the dude and got no answer yet today but when i do i will get the vin#

·
Registered
193 Posts
LOLOLOLOLOL

dude, its a regular 2.3 or 2.6 with a amg ducktail spoiler and an amg badge. It doesnt even have an amg bodykit plus stock huge fender gap and stock rims.

there is a 3.2 amg 190 that was made but that sure as hell is not it lol, and plus the 3.2 was a straight 6.

dont get your hopes up, if it was a real amg you would know just by looking at it.

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,263 Posts
There was no such thing AMG on 91- W201 model ( may called S/line..) neither 3.2L 4 cyl ..haha By pictured is just a standard W201 with old AMG spoiler on trunk as mentioned by zephyrueffer..But we glad that you ask these folk at this forum prior purchase..Get more detail..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOLOLOLOLOL

dude, its a regular 2.3 or 2.6 with a amg ducktail spoiler and an amg badge. It doesnt even have an amg bodykit plus stock huge fender gap and stock rims.

there is a 3.2 amg 190 that was made but that sure as hell is not it lol, and plus the 3.2 was a straight 6.

dont get your hopes up, if it was a real amg you would know just by looking at it.
thanks mike! yea i figured it was a fluke just didnt know enough about these cars to say for sure. i might still go see it in person. it looks clean and might make a good winter car for $1500 bucks. only had one owner who was a really old man from what the add says

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
all the details in the add i posted in post #1. not trying to give out the add link so someone can beat me to buying it lloll. Thats just in case its a rare AMG thats worth restoring. i called the dude and got no answer yet today but when i do i will get the vin#
Ask for help and won't post the ad? Really? There was a 190 scammer a few years ago that posted all over the internet with a 16v listed a s 2.6. Some here fell for it. It's doubtful ( and I believe as already stated ) there is no way in hell this car is anything but a stock 2.3 or 2.6 with a spoiler.

We are ALL going to jump ahead of you in line for a crack at that duckbill, LOL. I was gong to track the IP address from the ad, that's why I asked you to post it. Cars posing as something they are not smell of a scam.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ask for help and won't post the ad? Really? There was a 190 scammer a few years ago that posted all over the internet with a 16v listed a s 2.6. Some here fell for it. It's doubtful ( and I believe as already stated ) there is no way in hell this car is anything but a stock 2.3 or 2.6 with a spoiler.

We are ALL going to jump ahead of you in line for a crack at that duckbill, LOL. I was gong to track the IP address from the ad, that's why I asked you to post it. Cars posing as something they are not smell of a scam.
o ok it was an add on craigslist, which my job blocks the site so will have to wait till i get home to post the add. just didnt want to post it incase i was about to get the deal of the decade lol. Guess thats not the case haha. the reason why i thought i was possibly an AMG is because i read somewhere that in 1990 when the real 190e 3.2l AMG came out, they also made an option for 190e's to have a AMG body kit or a 3.2l AMG engine. seeing it didnt have the kit, thought it might have the engine. i'll post that link in about an hour when i get home tho

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.3 Limited #566/700
1,740 Posts

I know right? There was some guy on craigslist in my area trying to sell a stock black 2.6 as a sportline. He had shitty quality photos up and you can already tell it was fake because it wasn't the two tone black/red. It wasn't even a black interior for crying out loud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i was able to get the link for the add by doing a google search on it without clicking it. forgot i can do that longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2050950537.html

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Deffinalty not an AMG. No AMG would sell for $1500, probably even if it was wrecked.

·
Registered
92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
1,197 Posts
I know right? There was some guy on craigslist in my area trying to sell a stock black 2.6 as a sportline. He had shitty quality photos up and you can already tell it was fake because it wasn't the two tone black/red. It wasn't even a black interior for crying out loud.
looking at a sportline right now that dosent have black seats. i thought the same thing but FYI.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts