Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes C320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've had my 03 C320 for about a year now...

it has just under 60K kms on it...

Recently I noticed a rattle but didn't think much of it... I was outside the car today when it was started and noticed how relatively noticable it was outside the car... My friend said it sounds like the skid plate is loose or the exhaust is loose... I plan on looking into this when I get my oil change...

Anyways, today, the car engine light came on for the first time... keep in mind that earlier in the day, I notice that there was some hesitation on acceleration... shortly after I started the car I drove off when I reach an intersection, I noticed a jerkiness about the engine like it was puttering... then the check engine light comes on flashing... I pulled off in a parking lot and stopped the car... when it came to a full stop the check engine light stayed on (without flashing)... the check engine light has been on all day... and since driving it again, it drives normal but with the light on...

Any suggestions as to what it is??

I plan on going to get an oil change tomorrow as well as look into what is causing the rattling... I plan on going outside of the dealer as I've been told that they charge an arm and a leg, I decided against the extended warranty...

Anyone know of any good OBDII tools that I can buy in Ottawa to extract my own codes??

Wyler

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I use software and cable from odb-2.com and had it for years. It works on every car I tried it on and what's nice is you can log sensors when the car is running right and then compare it to when it's running bad so you can get an idea if a sensor is about to go out when the car is not running right. I certainly can't guess what your code is so you'll have to get a scanner and look at it or see if your local auto supply store can check the code for you. If you only get a code, you can look it up on my website in the resources section.

I'll be in Ottowa soon over the next few weeks, hopefully the weather will be nice then.

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
There is a very good chance that you have a faulty catalytic converter. The rattling may be caused by the element breaking loose. It happened to me on a '98 JEEP Wrangler. Lucky for me, it was covered under warranty!

·
Registered
2001 C320
194 Posts
Similar rattle on mine -- turned out to be a small bracket that goes on your exhaust, right where the pipes come close together. Easy fix. As far as your other problem, I had a similar thing happen. After a couple days, it didn't start. My crankshaft position sensor was replaced and fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2003 C240
13 Posts
On my 2003 C240 at 58K it was the drivers side cat. The insides come loose causing the rattle. bang on it with your hand and if thats it, you will hear it rattle.
$1250 installed at the dealer for oem or $275 for aftermarket cat installed

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
If I were you, check to make sure the Cat is not covered under warranty. Certain parts of the exhaust system are covered up to eight years. You should not have had to pay for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts