Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 C32 with 190K miles is in need of new cats, both sides, according to the computer codes. I've gotten 2 quotes, the prices range from $5200-$3900, both are over the top and constitute a large percentage of the car's current value. I've tried Magnaflow and the only thing they offer is an universal kit, that does not fit. I cant seem to find anyone else that sells parts that fit besides Mercedes. I've looked through older posts to no avail, either the parts aren't sold anymore, or the companies don't exist.

Does anyone have another source I can try? I'm getting desperate, I'm about ready to write the car off as a salvage and start selling it off for parts.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Wait, you're an evil HR director and you want our help? :D:D

Which ones are shot? There are four, you know. Magnaflow does make some universal cats, but they can't tell you if they will fit because they are not epa certified for your specific application.

If it's just the rears that are done, that will be pretty easy. Post back and let us know.

Another alternative is that you can take your car to a good indie exhaust shop and they will have some aftermarket units they can weld in. They'll still be expensive, but nothing nearly so costly as what you're looking at for OEM stuff.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to call HPRacing over in Glen Burnie, MD. Apparently they can handle custom exhaust system and are highly rated in the area. It is the rear main cats that are going/gone. The big challenge is that the whole system is stainless, not an easy material to work with, and only exhaust shops seem to have the correct torches and material to cut and replace. Additionally, the whole system is tight and precision fit to the car. My normal mechanic said he could hardly get his hand around the pipes because it was so well fit to the car. He went on to say it was the best craftsmanship of an OEM exhaust he'd ever seen and recommended I go the custom route.

As for the MagnaFlow parts, I don't even think the size is correct, once I get through this ordeal, I'm contacting MagnaFlow to insist they update their database to let people know their recommended product does not fit.

And last but not least, I believe we are all about to see problems with owning (and driving) a low volume production car. As it ages, getting parts is going to get more and more difficult. Just my $0.02.

And thanks for helping the evil director of HR, I'll have your weekly flogging reduced to 1 hour. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts