Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240D Standard
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I just bought my first MB (and my first diesel) a few months ago. It needed some TLC, which hasn't been a big issue yet. Most of my confusion has stemmed from trying to determine what the previous owner/s did and why.

This week it's the vacuum system. I've included some numbered pictures to illustrate what I want to know.

(***Note: The a/c system on this car has been almost completely removed)

1.) One of the little hoses was brittle and the end of it broke off inside the union in the vacuum booster hose. I tried to dig out the tip, to no avail. Is there a trick to getting it out, or a way to repair this without having to replace the whole hose?

2.) What's going on with these lines turned onto themselves? Is this a/c stuff?

3.) Where was this black, taped-up line supposed to go? What about the screw-filled hole next to it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Regarding Pic 1: I'd just replace that valve/junction/distributor part. Not sure what its called.

Pic 2: The yellow check valve should be connected to the yellow lines that go into the firewall. They are disconnected and "plugged" due to a probable leak in the locking system and maybe elsewhere.

·
Registered
1983 240D Standard
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that sounds about right. Vacuum locks don't function at all.

Not super concerned with those, though. Any idea on the other lines? I want to make sure I fix any performance-killing vacuum leaks and that everything essential is routed correctly.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes 300D Euro Spec
462 Posts
#3 Looks like your egr has been disabled. Which is a good thing:) More power, better for the engine, and simplifies the vacuum system.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Pic 1, the "breaks" are the main vac line, you'll need a new one. Your transmission is not getting any vacuum.

Also as your egr system is no longer functioning you can remove those lines and plug off at the VCV, the round white thing with the green dashpot on top. You should have a vacuum source from the main line there. On the lower side you have another egr line, discard that and unplug the line going to the round metal thing, that nipple is open to the cabin, it draws in fresh air to bleed down vacuum so your modulator gets the correct amount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts