Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500 Coupe
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the front bumper since I had the car lowered and went over a parking curb that ripped it to shreds :'( . I'm thinking of just taking off the bumper and applying some stuff to it and melt it back together, I dont' want to pay 2,000 for a new bumper.. Can't find a used bumper because mine has fog lights installed, most that I've found, don't.

I used to have a diy subscription to W140, but the instructions for the coupe were not right, they only gave coupe instructinos for some of the stuff and considered the C140 same build as the W140...

My front passenger side belt gave out aswell, need to replace the belt and was quoted $1,000 by benz sharks for the parts and labor. Seeing if I can save a buck by doing it myself.

So the instructions I need that I have not been able to find are:

- Front bumper disassembly for Coupe W140 '97 S500
- Headlight Disassembly for Coupe W140 '97 S500
- Right passenger belt disassembly W140 '97 S500 ( To replace the belt I have to take apart the whole right rear seat area because the belt is located in the back seat and comes to you when you turn the ignition on ).

Lastly, my driver side door doesn't suction in the door anymore.. I have to shut it a bit harder to compensate for the lack of suction so it goes all the way in, could a fuse be blown? The passenger side door works fine. Hose disconnected maybe?

Thank you all on Benzworld, you've been very reliable and helpful when it comes to my questions.

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
The front bumper is pretty easy to remove. If I remember correctly, it's two bolts at the top, which you get to by opening the hood, and two nuts in behind the left and right small tow access grills. Unplug the fog lights and the bumper then pulls off straight forward.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The front bumper is pretty easy to remove. If I remember correctly, it's two bolts at the top, which you get to by opening the hood, and two nuts in behind the left and right small tow access grills. Unplug the fog lights and the bumper then pulls off straight forward.
That is pretty well the description, the sides are in a slide config, pretty nuch a three handed job. The gille bolts also serve as the hood bumbers, the loweree ones under the tow hook covers

·
Registered
1997 S500 Coupe
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, PMed for the belt. Hope you got it, thank you. Will try removing the bumper next week when work frees me up a bit and hope i get it done before college starts again.

Headliner diy also anyone?

My car is a mess from using this car as a daily driver for many miles and the weather conditions. My headliner is sagging from driving with sunroof open and the moisture/humidity made it unstick :/

·
Registered
'95 S500 (sold), '97 E420
250 Posts
Hancock Fabrics sells the material for the headliner.
Home Depot sells the glue. 3M 90 spray contact adheisive.

Remove the Headliner backer from the car.
Peel off the old headliner, and (I use a wire brush) remove all the old foam stuff, being carful to not damage the backer board. When it's clean, smooth,
and free from all debris. wash yer hands. Lay out the head liner material face down on a clean surface, next to the backer board. Apply a generous coat of glue to both, material and backer board. Then with the help of a buddy, lnvert, and lay the material over the backer board, pulling it just tight enough that it doesn't sag, then pinch lightly in the corners to hold it in place. You are now ready to stretch it down, by starting in the middle, press it down and smooth it down working in all directions outward. That done, flip it over and apply glue to the edges to about 2" in. then roll the material around the edges, and trim off excess.
Now, on to the holes for sunroof, courtesy lights, etc. For the sunroof hole I usually start by cutting it out leaving about 2 1/2" to be rolled over the edge, then I cut a diagonal at the corners, leaving about 1/2" un cut. then apply more glue, and roll the fabric over the edge. For smalle holes I just cut an X and roll it around the edges. For screw holes, (grab handles, sunvisors, etc) I just cut an X, and leave it.

Re-install headliner, and have a cold beverage.

Or you could look for someone to come out and do it for you. 'Round here there is a company called Headliners On the Spot, they come out and in a couple hours you have a new headliner installed and they're gone.

·
Registered
1997 S500 Coupe
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info everyone! I decided not to do the headliner myself and just found a company that does them for ~$250 USD.

The front bumper I'm going to do this weekend, finally got the hectic schedule settled.

The last thing I'm looking for is the removal of the headlights (the whole body) for the Coupe, I've found plenty of sedan info, but no coupe (totally different shape). One of the little arms inside the left headlight broke off that makes the lights go up and down (self leveling thing?) and now my headlight is always pointing down :'( All I need to do is put some apoxy or superglue the broken piece that broke off and it will work again, but I need to get the headlight out to disassemble it first I assume. Then sadly a rock chipped my perfectly working right headlamp so now I have a hole in there, is there glass replacements for them... I'd hate to pay 600-2,200 for a new headlight just because of it, I've been putting clear construction tape over it to keep the water out.

Lastly, I haven't seen a service/repair manual anywhere online for the coupe, or any store for that matter. I've seen them for sedans but not coupes, and before, I had a alldatadiy.com membership for the coupe but they still gave lots of sedan repair manuals for the stuff they were lacking for the coupe which was frusturating.

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
There are three screws holding the headlight in. The upper two are obvious, one right at the fender and the other goes in at the inner edge, near the grille. The bottom one is behind the filler that the headlight wiper comes through. There's a phillips screw at the inner edge of that filler, take that out, take off the plastic cover at the wiper pivot point and remove the nut and wiper arm, and the filler basically pivots out, hinging at the fender side.

·
Registered
1997 S500 Coupe
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are three screws holding the headlight in. The upper two are obvious, one right at the fender and the other goes in at the inner edge, near the grille. The bottom one is behind the filler that the headlight wiper comes through. There's a phillips screw at the inner edge of that filler, take that out, take off the plastic cover at the wiper pivot point and remove the nut and wiper arm, and the filler basically pivots out, hinging at the fender side.
Will do this on friday, thank you. Do you know if the coupe headlight can be taken apart so I can clean the inside of the glass and do a little repair to the leveling plastic that I see broken in there?

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
415 Posts
Will do this on friday, thank you. Do you know if the coupe headlight can be taken apart so I can clean the inside of the glass and do a little repair to the leveling plastic that I see broken in there?
I sure hope so, because I just ordered 2 new coupe lenses and seals (last pass side in the world, 1 of last 4 drivers side in the world) for when I do my front end refresh. Found this thread looking for the answer on the procedure. I did these on a 202 over a decade ago, but the specifics are lost on me now.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,947 Posts
Chono,
We removed the front bumper from my '97 CL600. There were just a few bolts holding it on. I too tweeked it on a high curb. We looked at it and decided that we could fibreglass a repair. We did and it worked great. Then a year later, hit something on the freeway and broke it loose again. This time fibreglass was not in the cards and I bought a new one out of Germany. Considered a used one but can't trust the seller to describe one correctly.
Anziani

1 - 12 of 12 Posts