Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1998 C280 that did not come with the user's manual. The radio is requesting a code to enable it. The VIN is WDBHA29G2WF719850.

If anyone could help me get the code, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The answer on how to get the code has been posted at least 30 times on this forum alone. You will find the search tool to be your friend, and get you results more quickly in many cases.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the kind welcome to the forum.

Although I haven't spent the time to count, after a bit more reading and searching, I am willing to concede that the answer on how to get the code is probably posted at least thirty times; however, in this instance, the search tool did not prove to be my friend. I did search for "radio code" and several other terms and simply found a lot of requests for radio codes and some replies giving the radio codes (although older replies). If I had taken the time, and to this I plead guilty, I would have found buried somewhere deep within the main radio code request thread which held little interest for me as no one seemed to have a VIN identical to mine creating the happy circumstance that there is an identical car with an identical code, a reply to someone's request saying that you would not give out codes and your reason for this position. For this I apologize.

A quick solution to this, having the perspective of a newbie, would be to place a sticky at the top of the forum stating that codes would not be given out and the reason why. I would have found this immediately and would not have bothered the group with is what I am sure a frustrating request that takes up too much bandwidth in the channel. If I weren't a newbie and knew that these requests would not be honored, I would be tired of seeing them myself.

As to your reason for not giving out the codes, so as not to support theft of radios, I do see the merit of this position on the surface; however, I also see some issues with it. First, if codes are as easily obtained as mine was (which I did get with very little effort elsewhere) and me not knowing the first thing about the radio code issue, I believe a seasoned thief would be much better positioned in terms of experience and/or friends to acquire the code more easily and quickly. Frankly, this makes the code more of a nuisance to owners rather than a theft deterrent. Also, after doing some reading in the forum (I did not post entirely blindly), I came to the opinion that this was a group out to help each other maintain what, in my limited experience of three days ownership, is a great car while avoiding the prohibitively high maintenance costs of dealership service as possible. This request, which I now know differently, seemed to fit in with this spirit.

Thanks again for the welcome to the group and I hope, in some small manner based on the above recommendation and later based on experience, to contribute as effectively as yourself and help newbies to the group not feel immediately alienated and defensive.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Thank you for a reasoned and measured response. Some folks aren't quite so patient.

We do try to help each other out, and I put a lot of effort into that myself, where I'm familiar with the topic. I hope you saw the advice to contact the dealer - with your VIN; most dealers can verify your ownership and give you the code free. Where that is not possible, some responses provide a page to the Becker website. The Becker site also requires ownership information and unfortunately, charges a fee.

I agree that the radio code matter should be a sticky, because the issue comes up so often for perfectly legitimate reasons. It has been suggested before, but that hasn't happened.

While we don't see eye to eye on all points of the issue, I appreciate your response - and judging from it, you will be most welcome here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts