Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
w126 380 SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I changed the front passenger window motor in my 1985 380se. I disconnected the battery and changed the motor with no problems. When I reconnected the battery the clock on the instrument panel had stopped working properly. The clock now keeps time for 3-4 minutes and then stops. Has anyone expirenced this before? Any ideas how I might get my clock to work again? Thanks... -Joel

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
New capacitors will usually give it enough tongue to run again.
This really does happen (happened to me) where the caps are just BARELY working, you interrupt power for a while, and the clock doesn't work right afterwards. I've repaired 6/7 mechanisms to 100% with just changing the caps, so this has a high success rate if you are careful and/or know how to solder things. The exact caps are at radio shack, a robbery price and not the best, but still cheaper than a replacement.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,681 Posts
Last week I changed the front passenger window motor in my 1985 380se. I disconnected the battery and changed the motor with no problems. When I reconnected the battery the clock on the instrument panel had stopped working properly. The clock now keeps time for 3-4 minutes and then stops. Has anyone expirenced this before? Any ideas how I might get my clock to work again? Thanks... -Joel
Welcome to the forum. Please make sure to read Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Announcements in Forum : W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

·
Registered
MBZ '87 300SDL, MBZ '85 380SL, RR '77 Silver Shadow II, MBZ '98 E300TD
464 Posts
J,

It was a coincidence, those blasted capacitors have dried out and there is probably dust and bits of foam in the gears. The only resolution is to pull the instrument panel and address any issues you see with the whole assembly (bulbs, re-paint your needles with the correct bright orange paint, clean inside of dome, vacuum the dust and crud out, etc.)

There are kits on eBay and elsewhere that supply high temp/milspec capacitors to replace what's on there now. Start by removing the clock from the back of the cluster and follow the included directions. You can find a more complete dis-assembly procedure doing a search of these forums.

Do a thorough job on R&R of the whole cluster, you probably won't be going back in there again for some time.

Good luck,

-bh

·
Registered
w126 380 SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So the strangest thing happened. Yesterday evening I went out to the car to warm up the engine prior to departing. Started the car and noticed that the clock had moved from 6:00, where it had been for days, to 11:00. This was an interesting development, and a good sign. I hoped for the best and carefully adjusted the dial to reflect the correct time. The clock has been kept correct time since.

I tend to be of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, so hopefully things will stand as they are now and it won't be an issue. However, if a problem does arise, I feel confident that I can get good information here at Benzworld.org. You guys got it going on for sure, and please forgive my mis-steps as a n00b to your board. I know there's a wealth of information already here, and chances are, whatever question I may have, has already been answered in some other thread. Although in all honesty, I haven't had much luck with the search feature. Thanks for your replys everyone...

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
138 Posts
I have similar issues.... I'll definitely follow this thread to see what pops up. Personally, I think I'll not pull the cluster over the clock issue alone. If something else ever breaks, I'll go in. I've always got my phone with me, if I need to know the time...

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Everytime that I have to adjust the time via daylight savings time, I have the same issue. My fix is to adjust the clock and then let the knob snap back into place. It seems to set the gears correctly and makes good contact. It may take one or two tries but it works.

Regards,

·
Registered
Mercedes 300 SD, 1985
10 Posts
When adjusting the clock make sure to hear for the click for the gears to engage again, I slightly pull on the knob if you don't hear that, and bingo back in business again. no need to pull the whole thing out. The spring and gears over time maybe are not as springy as they should be, so do this first before pulling stuff.

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,329 Posts
I did the cap-replacement in my clock and I am glad it is done.
But it was spooky and I disobeyed Rule #1 and didn't disconnect my battery.

There is an exposed "ground bar" and a conveniently exposed + wire to short out some diode somewhere if you aren't careful like I wasn't. A few hours later I scab patched my way around that problem.

Not sure I would do it again.
Theres lots of little screws and springs and wires and brittle stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts