Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud new owner of a 1965 220s. Carbs are missing. Saw weber conversion on ebay for $850... ouch! What are my options?
Mahalo.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The car comes with Zenith INAT 35/40 2 bbl carbs. Put an ad in the wanted section for replacements. Do you still have the intake manifold? How about the air 'horn' that covers the carbs and the air filter housing?

Consider switching to Megasquirt EFI by using a throttle body in place of the carbs.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Proud new owner of a 1965 220s. Carbs are missing. Saw weber conversion on ebay for $850... ouch! What are my options?
Mahalo.
I could find some, but they have been sitting on the shelf for years, they will need a rebuild.

They were Solex carbs, not Zenith.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Here is a picture of the orignal set up and a exploded diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think that's an m180, right? Solex 38 PDSI carbs would also work on this engine. I think it all depends on the type of intake manifold he has.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just checked out mega-squirt efi web page. looks too involved, wanna stick to carb anyway, but thanks for info. it looks cool, and a hobby within itself.

Car is being towed to me from bout an hour away in Waimea in bout a week. Will take pic of the intake.

Would love to get original carbs and do a rebuild, as long as they are gonna stay tuned and or tunable.

Looks like bout $150 for a rebuild kit... what is a used set of zenith or solex (depending on intake), gonna run?

Is one more reliable than the other. Guess could always change the intake.

Shootz.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
just checked out mega-squirt efi web page. looks too involved, wanna stick to carb anyway, but thanks for info. it looks cool, and a hobby within itself.

Car is being towed to me from bout an hour away in Waimea in bout a week. Will take pic of the intake.

Would love to get original carbs and do a rebuild, as long as they are gonna stay tuned and or tunable.

Looks like bout $150 for a rebuild kit... what is a used set of zenith or solex (depending on intake), gonna run?

Is one more reliable than the other. Guess could always change the intake.

Shootz.
Can you get a picture of the intake? That would help in figuring out what you need.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a set of those carburetors, as an exchange of set I had rebuilt.
an easy re-build
There may be some parts needed like the base gaskets, return valve,, along with the kits

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have experienced both. I bought 2nd hand zeniths for about $200. Needed rebuilding. Tried myself but didn't work very well - I did not linish them flat. Got professionally rebuilt, fitted and sync'd on the car for $1100.
An unrelated fuel problem a few months later and the availability of a mates new webers made me swap. The webers seems to have a little more response, but not much difference. But if you get gunk past your fuel filter, they are easier to clean out as the jets can be pulled out without disassembly.
I talked to about 5 carb shops, and most said to bin the zeniths as they are prone to warping. But I have heard many owners say theirs are fine. So if you can rebuild them properly yourself I say go for it, but it if you had to get it done I would go the webers.
Cheers, Drew in Oz
PS - if you get the redline kit, the plastic linkages are a bit crap - I used spare ones I had off other cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so, if i go with the zeniths, your saying get them decked by machine shop where they meet the manifold? Is that where they warp?

Brian o... how much do you need for the zeniths?

Many mahalos

·
Registered
512 Posts
North Shore, what is the water temperature ?

Go with the original Solex from Necro,
the Zeniths were too big for the 220 motor
only on a 2.8 liter for those.

The "machine shop" consists of a flat piece of 1/4" plate glass and some 150 grit wet-or-dry paper with WD-40. rub until flat , you will see the distortion about the fastrening screws, and a thorough cleaning afterwards. All mating surfaces, the only real distortion is in the top plate of the Solex.

(former "professional" machinist jet engine overhaul)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts