Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
If anyone happens to be near a parts catalog (I have never been able to make my parts CDs work on my computer) could you shoot me the part number for the master brake cylinder of a 1980 230G (NOT 230GE)
thanks
George

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Gkase - 3/28/2005 4:18 PM

Hi,
If anyone happens to be near a parts catalog (I have never been able to make my parts CDs work on my computer) could you shoot me the part number for the master brake cylinder of a 1980 230G (NOT 230GE)
thanks
George
Need the VIN

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Gkase - 3/28/2005 6:01 PM

Ah...my VIN is 46021017001306
thanks
George
Two are listed. One sells for about €150 and the other for over €200. I don't know the difference.

Numbers are:

A.004.430.12.01 and A.004.430.28.01

Maybe the original part will have the number stamped or embossed on it somewhere.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Two different prices, two different makes, both fit, but why don't you improve your brake performance by fitting a master for a 463, it fits and it works.

·
Registered
1987 280 GD TURBO
132 Posts
has enyone determined volume to rear brakes
when using master cyl. from 463 or 123 chassis
There is surely a difference between these
models and the 460 drums.
Warren

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Gkase - 3/28/2005 10:24 PM

Hello sevetyfive,
what's that part number?
thanks
George
i will look thru my folder, at the house, tonight and get you the part number i used.
keep in mind that on the sedans and coupes the brake lines, from the master cylinder, shoot out to the driver's side where the bottle jack is located in our trucks, so you have to bend the hard lines a little to make this fit, the trick is to uncoil one coil put the lines into the cylinder THEN bolt the cylinder to the brake booster.
i put this on like 3 months ago and i have had no problems, and have had it on the trail every weekend since then also.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
warren t - 3/28/2005 9:51 PM

has enyone determined volume to rear brakes
when using master cyl. from 463 or 123 chassis
There is surely a difference between these
models and the 460 drums.
Warren
the amount of force applied to the brake fluid in the master cylinder is the determining factor. If the master cylinder has a bigger piston and cylinder, than the current cylinder you have, than you will be creating more force which will definitely help.
volume is just the amount of fluid in the lines. the more volume in the lines, the more force you need to improve braking, which means the bigger piston you need in the master cylinder.
bigger is better in this case. for braking dont worry too much about volume, concentrate on force. i put the w123 cylinder in, so the truck would pass inspection for the road test portion, not to improve the braking.
currently i am looking for the biggest master cylinder i can find, so if you find out the 463 cylinder displaces more fluid than a 460 or 461 please let me know so i can get one.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts

this is for a '76 blazer and you can get it at any napa. allot of the toyota guys add this to their mini trucks running tires bigger than 35". i have seen a toyota, on the way up to paragon, running this cylinder lock up 37's on dry pavement!
i cant remember off hand if our two bolt pattern is horizontal or vertical.
you can see the adapter plate the guy made to fit it to his toyota.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
75 the 463 master has a bigger piston, the stroke is the same, they do inmprove braking on the 460s there are 2 makes FAG or ATE for some reason FAG seems to perform better where cavitation from heat is a problem IME.

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shocked by price...

Seventyfive,
looks like your tip on the W123 will be the treatment of choice...I just asked what the price is on a stock master cylinder and was quoted $588 USD!!! Unbelievable!
thanks
George

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
RE: shocked by price...

Gkase - 3/29/2005 3:46 PM

Seventyfive,
looks like your tip on the W123 will be the treatment of choice...I just asked what the price is on a stock master cylinder and was quoted $588 USD!!! Unbelievable!
thanks
George
George, I inadvertently edited your original message. Sorry.

Who quoted this "unbelievable" price to you? Curious, as it most certainly is.

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Dutch,
the price was from Europa...and the rebuild kit is $180! I was stunned. So, I guess I am very interested in what alternatives others might suggest that are a bit more reasonable as well as fairly easy...
Regards
George

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Gkase - 3/29/2005 5:53 PM

Hello Dutch,
the price was from Europa...and the rebuild kit is $180! I was stunned. So, I guess I am very interested in what alternatives others might suggest that are a bit more reasonable as well as fairly easy...
Regards
George
The rebuild kit sells in Europe for €88-- or about US$120 at today's exchange rate.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts

i apologize...the master cylinder i ordered is actually p/n 002 430 28 01.
i ordered it from germanstar.net for $89.95.
that master cylinder is used in the following models w108, w109, w113, w114, and w115...not a w123. the w123 is the model i order engine stuff for. sorry about that. i took some pictures, but i have dial up at the house and it takes way to long to download pictures so i will post them tomorrow morning at work.

·
Registered
1980 230G Cab 4spd
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seventy five,
thanks for that part number! Can you tell a bit more about how much you actually have to do to install it?
thanks
George

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts

gkase, for what its worth i would contact sean at eurotrucks for pricing on a g cylinder, but if you want to go the cheaper route and get the part number i posted here are the pics

yeah, i know i still gotta get the mud off the truck.

anyways, the pics should show what you have to do to make the non g cylinder work. luckily the cylinder i got an a.t.e. cylinder...personally i like ate stuff, but 4x4 rancher makes a good point about the difference of fag and ate. on a side note, the extended braided lines i got for a d-90 fit perfectly so i wanted top post a pic of them

...man i really need to clean the truck!

·
Registered
1984 280GE Cabrio
255 Posts
Try this site for info. The site answers alot of questions even though they do not sell a product for our trucks. http://www.mpbrakes.com/mpfaqmasters.htm
There is a new master cyclinder on german ebay at 99.00 Euros,they do not list the USA as "ship to" country but it never hurts to ask.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts