·
Registered
2001 CLK 43Cabriolet
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need your opinion.

I have been looking at these shift gate sets:

Chrome Shiftgate

for my 2001 CLK cabrio. It is silver with black interior.

I have not seen any photos with this installed. Does anyone out there have this on their CLK?

I am thinking about adding a new shift knob to compliment it:

Chrome + Burlwood

or

Burlwood with Chrome Stripe

Any other recommendations on a shift knob?

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
i had a wood/leather combo shift knob from perf.products. it was real nice. i dont like the all wood knobs or the all leather knobs that come with the car. i heard the chrome shift gates are too shiny when the sun hits them and may interfere with your driving or just be annoying.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 43Cabriolet
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info on the shift cover.

I wish I had asked this question before I installed the door pins and pin-hole casings. Those things rattle like crazy and they are impossible to take of the door. Now I have to figure out how to keep them quiet.

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
Your door pins and casings rattle, glad you mentioned that. I have the "chrome" door pins but not the casings, now I no longer want the casings. Mine don't rattle, maybe you should go back to the factory black hole casings.

I have the shift knob shown 1st in your pic. I also have the shift plate and frame. I was shocked to see that the shift plate (inner) was different material than the outer chrome ring. The ring/frame is more shiny, my inner section is more of a matte silver look. I like the new look though of my new interior "bling" though much better than the factory look. I also have a "Benz to Bentley" wood dash kit. The all chrome know looks nice but gets hot as mentioned above.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 43Cabriolet
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, more god info. Do you have any photos of the shift console so we can all take a look?

I would go back to the factory pin casings, but I think that it is impossible. The original casings are rubber and remove easily. The chrome ones require a hammering to get them in place. They are not flexible and very snug in place. I do not think there is any way to get them off the door.

I may just have to go back to standard door pins.

BTW, they look great, but I have a major issue with rattles in my car. If I hear something tapping or rattling I am compelled to pull over and fit it right away. So, the combination of both is a real annoyance. I do have a few things to try to coat the inside ring with a padding to dampen the contact points. If that works, then I wont regret it at all.

If anyone out there has the shift gate installed, please post a pic and let me know if the reflection is too much to bear.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2001 SILVER CLK 430
750 Posts
I bought the same typw of shifter as well but mine was chrome all around. Bad idea. In the summer it was hot as hell, in the winter the opposite. Not only that but I have a ring on that hand and it became so scuffed up (the shifter) so quickly I switched back to my all leather stock one.

And yeah, the sun reflecting off it blew.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts