Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
sarti
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am considering a purchase of a 87 300d with 190k on it. The car has a solid body with no rust, good brakes, tires, new struts, etc. From the conversation that I had from the owner he seems to be an upfront and knowledgeable person. I have two concerns, first off, he has replaced the head gasket, now from what I have read on here about the #14 casting on the cylinder head, that could be a major issue. I am worried that if the gasket was leaking, the engine got hot and warped or cracked the head. Should this still be a concern if the engine does NOT have the #14 casting number? Second, the owner claims that the transmission bushing is worn and that the car will shudder on rare occasion. I have only seen pictures of this car and spoke with the owner for 10 minutes, the car is about a 4 hour drive away and he is asking $2,200/ obo. What do you guy's think? Thanks in advance. FYI, this would be my 3rd Benz diesel and I am somewhat framiliar with them, but as the saying goes, " a little bit of knowledge is dangerous"

·
Registered
1955 300SL, 93 300SE, 91 500SL, 1989 190E2.6
607 Posts
If it runs well and drives well, and you see no leaking fluids, and all the fluids look fresh and are the right color, I would buy it.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
The #14 issue really is hit and miss. It's quite possible that the head gasket simply wore out and needed to be replaced after all these years. If you saw the difference between the old and new versions, you'd just be glad to have the updated design in there.

As to the "shudder" issue, that could be lots of things, like:
Differential mounts, tranny mount, engine mounts, driveshaft support bearing, etc.

$2200 seems like a decent deal if the rest checks out.

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
Shudder could be Flex Discs too...

Putting new motor mounts on my diesel was nothing short of amazing, did the trans mount at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts