Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E320
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my car choices down to either a 2003 E320 or a 2001 S430. I know there are obvious benefits to each one. I'm more concerned with how happy you all are with your cars. Are there any gripes or complaints you have with the S after owning it for quite some time? How are they as far as reliability goes? Is interior noise an issue? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Todd

·
Registered
E 320 , Cay S, ML500
82 Posts
Make sure that you are getting a good price on S430

New one 2002MY are going for $ 2K under invoice.You may check the carsdirect site..

Good luck

·
Registered
SLK 320
33 Posts
Just bought 2003 E320 and own 2000 S430...

Just got the E320 yesterday but my mom said , "its not an S-class." She has to get used to it. The s-class had some trouble in the beginning. The MY2000 needed a new A/C unit, MB bulletin and the suspension system failed. However, our car was a pre-order and one of the early production models. We were going to buy a 2002 S430 "on sale" as the 2003s are out and we could get a good deal; but my Dad thought a change was in order. If money is not the issue, buy the S-Class. No interior noises on the S-class and besides those first two problems; very reliable. Be picky; everything is covered under warranty - so take advantage.

S class is not the same quality as the older S-classes, and they addressed many of these issues with the MY2003. Quality appears much better on E-class but the car is not as big, the engine is not as powerful and the car is not as luxurious.

I own a 2001 SLK320 and love the engine and the quality of my car, post SLK facelift.

My mom doesn't want to give her S-class up to my Dad but I have a feeling they won't keep the S much longer after the warranty period due to the possibility of so many technical systems going bad over time. You may want to get the extended warranty. In the past we bought diesels, so we kept our 1979, 1984, 1985, and 1991 for 12 to 15 years each.

I'd say ... buy the S.

·
Registered
E320
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats funny...

I have an 02 SLK that I'm parting with for the S class. I got the SLK late in 01 and I now need a car with a bit more room. I figured why not go for the one with the most room :) I agree with you on S vs. E I think. I'm shooting for the S class. I just hope I can find a pre-owned one in smoke for a good price. If not I guess I'll take silver. Anyway, thanks to both of you for your advice.
Todd

·
Registered
G-500
84 Posts
I've narrowed my car choices down to either a 2003 E320 or a 2001 S430. I know there are obvious benefits to each one. I'm more concerned with how happy you all are with your cars. Are there any gripes or complaints you have with the S after owning it for quite some time? How are they as far as reliability goes? Is interior noise an issue? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Todd
I would go for the S-430. I have a 2002 and really love the car! I enjoy every aspect of it. Even the gas milage is good for such a large sadan. No interior noise, great stereo, handles really well, great looking, ect... I never get tired of it. Enjoy.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts