Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to take my '86 190 on a road trip this summer and several parts need to be replaced, including the radiator.

I'd like to get an aftermarket radiator that's either more effective or larger than the stock OEM one.

This is in part due to the fact that the road trip will be going through New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada, on the way to California during the first three weeks of August.

Is there anywhere I could order an aftermarket radiator, online or otherwise? Any good sites, especially for aftermarket 190e parts?

Google searches just turned up generic, OEM parts distributors.

Any other ideas to help cool the engine would be much appreciated, as it tends to overheat (reasons?)

Any replies would be helpful.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
The OEM radiator will be fine in those climates, the residents of those states will attest to that. You might want to consider using "Water Wetter" additive to knock a few degrees off the coolant temp. The only real weakness in the Behr and Nissen radiators are the plastic necks where the hoses attach. Over time, the heat and vibration from the hoses will crack the necks. MB used to make a metal neck version, but they're long been discontinued.

In hot dry humidity, you may need to use slightly higher octane fuel than you might in cooler & more humid areas to avoid knock/ping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

Another question I had was that hot air keeps blowing through the middle two air vents in the dash. The side two vents are broken, so no air, hot or otherwise comes out.

The defroster also vents really hot air no matter what settings are chosen.

The A/C is currently broken, but it wouldn't have anything to do with that would it?

I've replaced one part that sits right behind the dash (accessable by opening up the hood and going in through the engine bay) but the hot air still seems to keep coming.

Any ideas?

Driving a car like this in the middle of the summer while venting hot air isn't going to be fun. The windows don't go down either [xx(]

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3L
1,724 Posts
check the window connections around/underneath the shifter and the fuses, that maybe the cause of the malfuntioning windows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Syracuse315 - 3/29/2005 2:50 PM

check the window connections around/underneath the shifter and the fuses, that maybe the cause of the malfuntioning windows.
Around the shifter?

I've replaced all of the fuses, which actually helped the sunroof to work again. Most of the old fuses fell apart in my hand as I was replacing them, seems that they were the original ones.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
Heated air thru the center vents? The center vents are designed for "non-heated" air, which means A/C or fresh (from the windshield area) only, not anything that passes thru the heater core. If you are getting heated air thru the center vents, you have an HVAC issue.

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
As for not getting any heat through the side vents, it sounds like you have a vacuum problem. I have this same problem, and after testing the pressure on the vacuum tubes, I discovered that the rubber seals are no longer doing their jobs.

For that same reason, in about a month I will be doing a complete dashboard removal/replace project, in order to replace all my vacuum lines and solenoids, as well as put in a new cluster and fix some other electrical stuff. At any rate, I'll be creating a DIY photo guide for that project, so watch the forums for a post from me about that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MTI - 3/29/2005 7:36 PM

Heated air thru the center vents? The center vents are designed for "non-heated" air, which means A/C or fresh (from the windshield area) only, not anything that passes thru the heater core. If you are getting heated air thru the center vents, you have an HVAC issue.
What should I check/replace if it is an HVAC issue?

Are there any pumps or hoses or sensors that would have to be changed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
n0alpha - 3/29/2005 9:25 PM

As for not getting any heat through the side vents, it sounds like you have a vacuum problem. I have this same problem, and after testing the pressure on the vacuum tubes, I discovered that the rubber seals are no longer doing their jobs.

For that same reason, in about a month I will be doing a complete dashboard removal/replace project, in order to replace all my vacuum lines and solenoids, as well as put in a new cluster and fix some other electrical stuff. At any rate, I'll be creating a DIY photo guide for that project, so watch the forums for a post from me about that.
Excellent, can't wait to see your DIY.

I'll probably have to follow it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts