Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, new to this forum. Hopefully you'll read my post (might get long)
I feel like a freaking moron therefore Need your honest advice/opinions (please don't be smart ass lol).

Reason for that is that i bought a car (s500) without getting inspection done. I have looked at other cars where i asked for inspection but for this vehicle i didn't ask if the seller had an inspection or asked him to get one. which is now starting to really bother me. Car has 130kms.

Now vehicle is in good shape and everything works (except for key fob which sometimes doesn't work. assuming need new batteries). Now somewhere down deep inside i feel the reason i didn't go for inspection is because i felt at the time (and still do) that seller has taken care of his car. I was able to get some of the service records ( i dont' think he had them all because he told me that battery is new but had no papers for it, tires are new, brakes are new (i have the papers for that).

Now, i did notice he had some work done recently (couple of months ago but only 4700km ago according to papers and has done service A after that). A---chk and advise key wont always open or unlock the car--car will not start all the time--but does randomly. papers say that vehicle had difficulty in starting 2-3 times a week. not sure if it's related to line A. engine cracks but does not fire. checked fuel pressure- no fuel pressure. Advise replacement of fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and fuel filter. All of them were replaced as advised. there was another major work done (money wise) but few years back but will have to check papers again. Now, considering the recent work done on this vehicle--is this something to be concern about??

guy i bought it from was a second owner (who had it under his company name so i'm assuming he was up on his maintenance (write-offs) and had it for 7 years according to vehicle history report i paid for.

Now, if you were me (i don't know much about cars), would you get this car inspected? i have been driving it for few days. no issues. is it worth getting inspection on the vehicle you have already bought?
What to do to get peace of mind about not getting inspection? obvious answer would be to get inspection lol but is it worth it?
how would you go about it now?

thanks

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
Inspection? As in State Inspection or a reputable Mechanic to inspect the overall condition of engine, tranny, brakes, suspension, etc... to give his unbiased opinion? 130K, what year is it? How does it ride, steer, shift? What is the condition of the oil, is it dark, lite tint brown? Coolant level? Where I am going with this is, if you have already bought it then it's yours, regardless of the condition. My first priority would be towards the engine as it is the "life line" of the car. If it has a tendency to not start then I would address that first. If someone has already replaced the fuel pump, filter and relay then I would cross that part off in the investigation trouble-shooting. It could be a short, loose connection, CPS going bad or intermittent. The problem here is having it diagnosed with computer as it is happening. Because it is intermittent, it is hard to chase. Once corrected, I would do and oil and filter change to establish a baseline for schedule changes. Same with coolant system. You may not know everything that has been done to the car already, so I suggest you start your own programed schedule.

Also, please look at the Encyclopedia section above your post. You can find a multitude of information about your car and some great tips on how to fix problems and take care of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, as of now everything seems to working fine (except for key fob which i'll get fix soon). if something could go wrong down the road which will be expensive to fix, i might as well sell it as it's running just fine.
it is 02. Thing that is bothering me is that had i gone for an inspection, i would of had idea what could go wrong down the road?? fair way of thinking? so, next time i have to take my car in for service A. should i ask for them to diagnose the whole car to see if there is anything wrong or could go wrong?

i did call and found out that pre purchase inspection is around 125 (not sure exactly what it covers) and engine compressor test for v8 is around 150 plus gst. should i go for both?

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
If everything is fine right now and you are not experiencing any problems like clinks, clatters, banging, running rough or not starting issues, then I would drive it like it is. However, I would strongly urge to get an oil and filter change and perhaps a coolant flush and refill to know exactly where you are at and to establish a schedule. MB is a great car and if it is taken care of and serviced punctually you will likely have no problems.

As for the Inspection, personally I wouldn't, but that's just me. Many might say, "oh yeah you need to". If you feel compelled to have someone inspect your car now, choose wisely to whom you ask to do it. Take it to the wrong person and you may hear that you need an immediate engine transplant or repair because your airmatic struts are running backwards... Some will say anything for the god almighty dollar. Trust me, if you take care of it, look at the tires, feel the brakes as you press them, feel the ride, is it comfortable? Look around and under the car and hood for leaks. If no leaks, tires have even wear and not bald and brakes and ride are all good then focus on a schedule for maintenance such as oil changes. Also the message center on your dash will notify you have impending problems that need to be addressed.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If and when you do run into problems, as deucer advises, be sure to check out the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky toward the top of the first page of the W220 forum. You will have a general idea of the kinds of problems owners have experienced over the years - but note that virtually NO owner has had ALL the problems addressed.

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
And for god sake, don't you dare say you have no problem with your "hands free cell phone system".:crybaby2:

Sorry about that. It's kind of an inside joke....
Good luck sir.

·
Registered
S55 AMG
191 Posts
You could have Beaky Sims inspect the car and give it the all clear, only to have a suspension strut blow its guts all over the road the next day without warning.
Unless you are completely clueless about cars, then a good look around and a test drive should pretty well tell you if its a good one or not.
But thats only on the day that you go to look at it.
When I went to try my S600 it behaved perfectly, it only started to go wrong on the way home when it was too late to turn back.
So, just take it day by day, if you park it at night and its not gone wrong at all then thats another day when that gut instinct that made you buy the car is proved right.
Dont loose any more sleep over not getting it inspected, if the guy got the work done before he sold the car, then it saved you having to pay for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yeah, i have had this car for 4 days now. I have used it everyday and more than once a day. Everything seems fine except for key fob (which is little annoying lol). I do believe seller is a honest guy, who has taken care of this car. If there is something wrong, he probably doesn't know about it. In fact when i went to his house to see the car, i went there earlier and he came home in this car. He had his golf clubs in the trunk so i'm assuming if there was something wrong, he wouldn't use it as day to day esp since he is retired guy.
I guess what i thought inspection would give me is an idea how it would be three-six months from now but like some of you said, take it to a wrong guy and most things are wrong with the car.

I did get a message today that i need to get service B done in 15 days so i'll get that done along with things deucer mentioned.

Thanks guys for your feedback!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
In a related question, I married a Las Vegas stripper last weekend. I didn't ask her for an STD test but she's really hot so I'm guessing everything's okay.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Hmmmm - with this thread the W220 forum is beginning to resemble the R/C107 forum.

That's not a bad thing.

But they have some "soft" rules over there.

1) Without pics, it didn't happen.
2) You can't go off-topic or hijack a thread until the OP's question has been correctly answered, or
3) There have been at least 10 serious but unsuccessful attempts to answer it.

There also seems to be an unwritten rule that humor and gentle needling are appreciated.

I see you're on the way, deucer and Mike!

·
Registered
330 Posts
With the B service due now I'm guessing whoever does the service will give everything a once over, look for leaks, and pull any uncleared codes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mike, I was looking for pics of the stripper! ;) :)
It's the weirdest thing! This morning when I woke up there was a note on her pillow. Apparently she has a very sick aunt in Equador and needed to leave. I'd explain more but the police are here. On top of all the stuff going on with Misty Lane's aunt, someone broke in last night and stole my Rolex and all of our cash! Hey, does anyone know if it's normal to have red erupting welts on your genitals?

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
It's the weirdest thing! This morning when I woke up there was a note on her pillow. Apparently she has a very sick aunt in Equador and needed to leave. I'd explain more but the police are here. On top of all the stuff going on with Misty Lane's aunt, someone broke in last night and stole my Rolex and all of our cash! Hey, does anyone know if it's normal to have red erupting welts on your genitals?
Dude! Forget the welts and the cops, I'd be headed for Equador to get the woman and asked her, "are you done with my Rolex"?:eek:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well my crappy luck continues. I got an email from a Nigerian dude stating that he needed me to put twenty six million in my bank account from a Ugandan dignitary that got killed in a car wreck this summer.

I get ready to go to the Western Union to send him the various transfer fees and what not, and I realize the Benz is gone! Luckily the police found it a few hours later in a crack neighborhood. It was in pretty good shape except for the blood stains and one very small bullet hole. (Looks like someone will be spending his weekend detailing :crybaby2:)

Anyhow, by the time I got to Western Union they were closed...just my luck. I wish Misty Lane were here. She's a great listener.

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
Darn Mike you have the worst luck of anyone. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. Speaking of that, why don't you call Misty and have her come over and comfort you with some bed time stories. You never know, some good luck might come out of that!;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts