Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C240
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Nokia 6310i (GSM) with the European PSE and all installed in my Mercedes. Reception is spotty, in part because I live in a rural town in Massachusetts near the Southern New Hampshire border. GSM towers aren't as abundant as they are in city areas.

Anyway, a salesperson at an AT&T retail store said, when I complained about the poor coverage, that it might have to do with the antenna on my car. He said it is necessary to have a GSM antenna to get proper reception.

Do any of you know if that is true, and if so, what are my options? If one of them is to add a GSM antenna, can I replace the one on my rear window?

Thanks,
Dick Gleason

·
Registered
2009 SLK 350 Capri Blue
385 Posts
I also use att gsm coverage and its spotty seems like everywhere i go, but besides that point the salesperson is correct, if u got the car kit it has an option for an external antenna. While you dont have to get the antenna it will improve reception. You just need to make sure the antenna is the correct frequency as well which is 1900. While lookin on the internet I found many antenna but tuned to the incorrect frequency, anyway there are several out there, just do a search at yahoo and u will find many. I am personally thinking of this one since it is low profile and appears like it could be hidden up in front of the rear view mirror or im thinkin on the rear deck. here is the link, hope it helps... http://wpsantennas.com/store/index.php3?cat=280550&item=750117

I have a Nokia 6310i (GSM) with the European PSE and all installed in my Mercedes. Reception is spotty, in part because I live in a rural town in Massachusetts near the Southern New Hampshire border. GSM towers aren't as abundant as they are in city areas.

Anyway, a salesperson at an AT&T retail store said, when I complained about the poor coverage, that it might have to do with the antenna on my car. He said it is necessary to have a GSM antenna to get proper reception.

Do any of you know if that is true, and if so, what are my options? If one of them is to add a GSM antenna, can I replace the one on my rear window?

Thanks,
Dick Gleason

·
Registered
1995 300E Diesel
1 Posts
Antenna for your GSM phone

I just had my Nokia installed with an external antenna. Couldn't believe it but even in the middle of nowhere I had excellent reception. Go for the antenna that installs on the front window (see other posting)
Good luck

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
I have a Hirshmann windshield mount GSM antenna. It's 1

I have a Hirshmann windshield mount GSM antenna. It's 1" wide and about 5" long and it hides perfectly on the corner and barely noticable.

Also, ATT is not known for great reception and your 6310i would only work with 1900 GSM band. The 900 and 1800 are not used in US. You might want to consider T-Mobile then. Just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts